no low end power!!!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chris_mc

no low end power!!!!!

Post by chris_mc »

I have a 1993 mx3 GS, and it has no low end power. Its a manual Tranny. When i get it up to 5,000 rpm it starts going, but not before it. This guy told me it was some valve on the left near the fire wall, under the hood. He even showed me how its not working, by putting a peice of paper in each of them. There is 2 valves. One for low end, and one for high end. I didn't really know the guy, and I haven't been able to track him down since. I forget the name of the valve. Can someone help, me and give me a solution to the problem
Thanks
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

VRIS
should always be working, the guy showed you what was wrong did he say why? like a hose is broken or something is broken off?
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
slimsmedley

Post by slimsmedley »

i recently ran my eunos 30x on the dyno and noticed the valves you are talking about. I thought the low end power of the stock model was crap, but must mazdas are engineered for high end power, especially when you have the tiny little cylinders in the k8. We seem to seriously lack torque. I've got the KLZE on order right now... ANYWAY, back to the point. When playing around with these valves, the only difference we could make was when the valves are held open right at the very top end we got a small spike of power at about 7000rpms. it definately made a tiny difference (hardly notcieable) at the top end, but no difference in the low end at all. When the valves were held closed performance was slightly retarded (again, not really noticeable) at the high end. I don't know if that helps at all, but hey, i love running cars on the dyno
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Chris, it appears that your friend was on target as far as locating the source of your problem. If mechanically inclined, go to the online manual and start reading and getting familiar with the VRIS operation. If after doing that and you don't feel that your up to the challenge, I suggest you make an appointment at your most trusted mechanic. VRIS depend on vaccum for proper operation and verifying all vaccum lines is necessary. Chris, in the future it's best to give a detailed history of the signs and symptoms leading to your problem. You'll find you will get quicker and better responses to your problem and probably solve them much quicker, FWIW.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yup, its gotta be vris.. never hurts to get theregular tuneup, cap rotor wires ect. Make sure you timing belt isnt stretched, even if the computer fixes the timing..it can only do so much. As farf as vris, I know believe they open at high rpsm because you can feel the pull when they open. My car had a bad belt causing it to run like crap. it jumped a couple of teeth and the rear head was ticking,, after the fix it works fine and no ticking.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
chris_mc

Thanks

Post by chris_mc »

Thaks for the info! I am having a hard time finding an online service manual? Any links?
Zbroja

Really?

Post by Zbroja »

Oh. an online manual? Sweet where? I'd like to know.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its on the main home page here at this site http://www.mx-3.com In the column of links on the left of the page.

Tunes67
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

hgallegos915 wrote:As farf as vris, I know believe they open at high rpsm because you can feel the pull when they open
yeah, in my car you definately feel a real surge of power at around 4500rpm... its great fun 8)
1997, Silver, V6

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”