CV Axle - the good, the bad , the ugly

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Chasing_Size

CV Axle - the good, the bad , the ugly

Post by Chasing_Size »

So, we checked everything, the stabilizer bolt, was broken on the drivers side, we replaced both stabilizer bolts, 48 dollars each, noise still there / grinding / rubbing / vibration almost from right underneath the drivers side floor, almost near where the cv axle connects to the transmission

We took the cv out, and inspected both sides, the teeth were perfect connecting into the hub side, on the tranny slide, there were slight grind marks on about 4 teeth, but only around the edges, the teeth were fine length wize, on the tranny side, if you move the cv joint (tranny side) around with your hand, you hear a clicking, friction kind of, not smooth, we werent sure if this was the cause so i called up a wreckers, got a price on a 93 drivers side cv full axle, were going to try replacing this, if this doesnt work, im f---ing stumped....

Everything is tight, ball joints good, tie rod ends, stabilizer tight now, strut tight, springs not binding, f---... i hope this works....
1992 Mazda mx3 gs / 03 / ms8 intake manifold / klze 67mm bored TB/ Custom CAI / 2.5 Custom exhaust / Drift kit front and sides/ CF Invader hood / 17'' MSR gunmetals with chrome lip / Tockico Blues / Suspension technique springs / Leather interrior/ B&M SS / Fully customized interrior (Red and black) / Corvette Red 00 Paint w/ white,blue,gold pearl / Shaved altezzas w/ black trim/ Front rear strut bars / ze ecu ( I think that's all )
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Evan, not much good luck happening here. As soon as you sort one thing, another pops up. Hope the new axle works. :welder:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Chasing_Size

Post by Chasing_Size »

Thanks John
1992 Mazda mx3 gs / 03 / ms8 intake manifold / klze 67mm bored TB/ Custom CAI / 2.5 Custom exhaust / Drift kit front and sides/ CF Invader hood / 17'' MSR gunmetals with chrome lip / Tockico Blues / Suspension technique springs / Leather interrior/ B&M SS / Fully customized interrior (Red and black) / Corvette Red 00 Paint w/ white,blue,gold pearl / Shaved altezzas w/ black trim/ Front rear strut bars / ze ecu ( I think that's all )
Chasing_Size

Post by Chasing_Size »

ONE THING AFTER A f---in NOTHER

No more rubbing or bumping nuder the drivers side wheel well anymore, yep you guessed it, now its from the passenger side!!!!

KILL ME NOW

I hate thisssssssss
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Do you have an extra stabilizer link lying around?

If so can you measure it for me, center of bolt to center of bolt?

I have a broken rear one, called mazda and got a price of $83 CAD each.

THanks but no thanks.

I have been talking to a guy on MX6.com who is making custom stainless ones, he need the measurments for the mx-3.

Thanks
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Getting a CV joint from the salvage yard is just bad practice. Who's to say it's any better than what you have. At worst case get one from autozone or the likes. If you can afford it one from raxles.com. It will last as long if not longer than the oem one. I think they run ~$130 from raxles.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

so..what causes this other than a bad bearing..mine grinds under the wheel well also...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

if its a bumping almost like the cv is binding, mine did this on hard left turns, what u do is pull out your camber just mildly by putting in a smaller bolt in the strut to brake mount and put a spacer to hold it in place.
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
Chasing_Size

Post by Chasing_Size »

Thanks for the camber idea, when I changed the cv axles the noises went away completely though, do you think i should still adjust the camber?
rasheedn

Post by rasheedn »

i have a dumb question

i am 80% sure of the answer hehe just wanna double check

cv joint for an ABS won't work on a non abs right?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

they tried getting me the non abs one..didnt fit.. unless shop was doing something else wrong.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

An ABS axle will work in a non-ABS car. The only difference is a geared ring on the outer joint for the ABS system. From what I see on here though finding an ABS axle is dman near impossible.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

yes the abs one will fit. If for some reason you have clearence issues you can remove the abs ring gently w/ a hammer and chisel
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
rasheedn

Post by rasheedn »

thanks for the reply :)

i shall now install new CV joints !! and yes both r ticking like a b----!!!

we need 2 find either hardcore CV joints or an alternative or sth!!

driving crazy + racing = fun and a nice big smile + a set of damn CV joints!!! :(
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

raxles, raxles, raxles. They ship internationally also.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”