Few Problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jbruynson

Few Problems

Post by jbruynson »

Well I recently bought an mx-3, but I guess theres a few things that need to be fixed, since the car wasn't starting. Problem is I don't wanna spend too much getting things fixed because in about a month or 2 im planning on getting a klze installed.

I guess theres some oil leak which is causing oil to get on the sparkplugs which is causing it not to start. $375 to get gaskets changed

Some tensioning wires causing misfire or something? $235 installed

For right now im just getting a major tuneup which includes replacing all the sparkplugs.

I guess my question is, how long is my engine gonna hold out for? will it last me another month or 2? I really don't wanna spend another $600 now when im getting the ze pretty soon.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

First off.. If your willing to pay those prices to change gaskets and replace plug wires.. Bring it to me and I will do it for 1/2 that price.. or do it yourself and do it for 1/8 the price. A full set of Tension wires (fancy term for plug wires) is less than $75 (and that would be for a good performance set too) Valve cover gasket & even intake gaskets would be well under $100. If you are concerned about saving cash to do your KLZE swap. Time to start getting a bit greasy on your own. Or find a different shop that will at least kiss you before they bend you over. Just my 2 cents.

Tunes67
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Doing the tue up will be good practice for you, especially if you are thinking about doing an engine swap. If you can't do the tune up, dont even think about the swap. The tune up is literally an hours worth of work. Maybe less, it will be a good chance to work on your car and learn where things are etc.
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

yea thats a good point, i'd love to do it myself, but i really just don't know enough about the engine yet.

Is there somewhere I could learn through pics or something how to change the gaskets? If I opened up the hood right now, I really woudln't even know exactly where to look lol.

Or is it possible just for the next month or 2, to just every week or so just clean off the spark plugs? and top the oil up? seems like the cheapest fix but I really don't know

And I won't be doing the swap myself, i'd love to, but no lol
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

i just heard back from them and supposively the tension wires have the be replaced, but from the sounds of it, for $235 its not a good deal at all. Is this something thats easy to do? im sure I could do it with some directions?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Very easy to do. The Tension wires are your Spark Plug wires. If you can remove a spark plug.. you can replace the wires. Just make sure you do each wire one at a time. Remove first wire, compare it to the new wires to find the one that is the correct length. Install the new wire. Move on to the next wire. Considering that the shop is planning to charge you over $150 for 20 minutes max of labor.. I would tell them to go F**k themselves. Pardon my canadien.. ;) Also.. might want to squirt a small amount of Liquid Wrench into the end of the plug wire before snapping the wire onto the spark plug or onto the distributor cap.. this will make it easier for you to get the plug wire fully seated. Also.. when the wire is fully seated you will feel and likely hear a "click" as it snaps into place.. if you dont feel this.. remove the wire and make sure the connector is in position in the boot. Usually they dont move and you wont have this issue. But you should feel the plug wire snap into place when done correctly.

Tunes67
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

thanks alot for the info, i've never removed a spark plug before, but i'll see what I can find on the net, by the sounds of it, its not too hard at all.
If you know of any sites (step by step pics preferred :) ) i'd appreciate if anyone would let me know.

Other thing is where do I find these wires? would they have generic ones at a local canadian tire or something? is there certain sizes specific for the mx-3?

The the other problem is the gasket leak. Is this kinda the same? can i just buy some generic gasket, and replace them? how easy is this to do?

Thanks alot for the help, i really appreciate it, you gotta learn somewhere i guess :lol:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Asumming you have the V6.. you would have 2 Valve cover gaskets. Yes they are easy to replace.. simply remove the bolts that hold the valve covers in place. Clean all contact surfaces thoroughly. Both on the head and on the bottom of the valve cover.. alcohol or brake cleaner works well for this with a lot of shop towels or paper towels. Place the new gasket on the head, use Black RTV Silicone sealant at the corners on top of the gasket, then place the valve cover over the gasket - careful to line up all the bolt holes. Then bolt into place.

I would recommend investing in a shop manual of some sort - Chiltons makes one that while isnt very comprehensive.. should give you a good idea of the basics like this.

You should be able to find the plug wires, valve cover gaskets and the shop manual at any local auto parts store. Since I have never been in a Canadien Tire store.. I have no idea what they sell there.. the name would suggest Tires to me LOL.. Just tell the guy at the counter what year your car is and what engine it has in it. He should be able to look everything up for you in his computer or parts catalogs.

Probably the most important part about doing the valve cover gaskets is the cleaning part. If the surfaces arent perfectly clean.. they wont seal properly and you will have the same leak problem. Good luck.

Tunes67
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

sweet thanks alot man, i'll let you know if im successful.

and the gaskets and wires are all 1 size fits all kinda thing? theres no special size i need for an mx-3? and your right i have a gs
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

If you are planning on getting a new engine, dont go replacing gaskets. The front gasket is very simple, but the rear one is time consuming which means a lot of money to pay for labor. Spark plugs is no big deal, just pull the wire and use a wratchet with a spark pkug socket on it and put it down the spark plug well and unscrew the plug then put the new plug in and tighten it. For the rear ones your gonna need an extension for the wratchet. You might have a hard time getting wires asking for an mx3, so try asking for them for a v6 626, probe gt, v6 mx6 all between years 93-97. Get them at any parts store, just calling around for the best pricing.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

oh and yes gaskets and wires are specific for the car. I found here where i live that the cheapest place to get gaskets was at a ford dealership. Ask for the front and rear valve cover gaskets for a 93-97 probe gt. But like i said, dont waste your time if you are getting a new engine soon. I would replace them on the new engine you get though
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There are special sizes.. but that information will be in the parts store catalogs as long as you are correct about the car you have when you ask for the parts.. you will get the correct parts.. assuming the guy behind the counter knows what he is doing that is ;)

Tunes67
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

ok so say I don't replace the gasket? How long do I have until the sparkplugs get too much oil and I get the same problem again? Is it something as simple as cleaning them off every once and a while? or even with the small leak, will the plugs be ok for a month or 2?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You should be fine just cleaning the plugs on occasion.. every week or so.. depends on how bad the oil leak is.

Tunes67

P.S. You might also want to invest in a basic metric socket/wrachet/wrench tool kit.. if you dont have access to such tools already. The more you get into doing your own repairs.. you will find that there are more and more tools that you will buy & collect over time. Personally... I prefer to do most of my own repairs.. plus as a added bonus.. you have the tools as a badge of honor compared to a bill from a shop ;)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”