2500 dollars later

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
barbarino69

2500 dollars later

Post by barbarino69 »

Well, my tranny completely went on me couple weeks ago. 1st and 2nd gear only, and then it just neutraled out. I had 0 money so I had to borrow money from my aunt to fix it. Turns out my whole tranny, torque converter, clutch plate, bearings, bushings, anything and everything was burnt, warped, and destroyed. (DAMN THE USED CAR DEALER)

Now that I got it fixed, car runs great. Im getting a cooler put on the tranny and plan on doing some work on the engine to squeeze out some horses (any suggestions would be appreciated).
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

$2500 for tranny? damn thats ripoff
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ouch, shoulda got a rebuilt tranny and have it all repaired for under 1000
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Looks like someone got ripped off...
If your going to spend that much why not go for a used manual transmission?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

could've gotten whole new car for that much, I was quoted to rebuild 4x4 tranny for less than that and Dodge Charger 727 for $600... :roll:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

is it a v6 or 4 cyl. If your looking some some good power gains then you could always swap, but you would want to do a manual tranny swap at the same time because as you've experienced, the auto suck in these cars. You could get all the regular bolt-ons, intake, exhaust, headers.
barbarino69

Post by barbarino69 »

It wasnt just the tranny, It was the tranny, torque converter, the case was cracked, the mounts were broken. I went into the shop to confirm everything, I also requested a parts list and the price from their supplier, I even tried getting the same parts for cheaper and it wasnt happening. I was going to do a manual swap, But I need the car for my job and when the tranny went out, I was at risk in losing my job, So I opted for the faster tranny fix. (My aunt payed for it, she wouldnt pay for a manual swap.....trust me I asked) I was at the shop every day asking questions, I also had them install aftermarket parts for the tranny as well as an intercooler. I know, when i saw 2500 dollars I thought it was a rip off too, but It turns out that the tranny, and everytihng associated with the tranny was screwed. If I did get charged a lil more than I should have, maybe beacuse I live in florida and thats just the way it is down here. whatever, its fixed, it runs good, and I still have my job so I can save for some mods.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

$2500 isnt that far out of line from what I have been hearing from people. I wouldnt have done it, but its not out of line. Hopefully you got a good warranty with it and wont have to deal with it again.

That being said, these guys are right, you could have had it done cheaper. Dont sweat it. The other option would have been to get a different car with an unknown history and its tranny may have crapped out too.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its an automatic tranny...thats why its so expensive ive seen people pay that much also, by what he meant as clutch plate he meant the flywheel..it got some other names like flex plate and clutch plate.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
barbarino69

k

Post by barbarino69 »

Yea, I got a 12 month warranty or 12000 miles, whichever comes first. The shop is a local race car shop that did it, and I know the owner so i know there work is top quality, and they wouldnt say something needed to be fixed unless it really did. Its alright, now I know the tranny is good, i just installed a hayden hig perf. tranny oil cooler last night so that should help with the heat, which from what I heard is a killer of tranny's. I plan on doing a BPT or B6T swap sometime next year, so Ill need to swap in a manual too. $$$$$$ but itll be worth it.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

You let me know when you're ready to do the ATX-MTX swap :) I actually pioneered the process on the GS MX-3... I was first to do the swap (at least, I havent found proof of anyone completing it before me..l. a guy in canada completed it 2 weeks after I did, and we were independent of each other), and have done several since in both the mx-3 and mx-6/pgt. fun stuff... you'll really love the mtx over the atx. it gives you a whole new control of the car that you never had before, and it feels like you've added an assload of power :) I'm in Nashville, TN, and I travel, if you're interested :) or if you just need help/advice, I'm here and at Georgechicken@yahoo.com .... and yeah, $2500 US is still too much for what you got. For that you should ahve gotten a completely remanufactured transmission (ZERO MILES) , new torque converter, new axles, mounts, and a HELL of a warranty. A friend of mine in Memphis paid out the a-- a few months back for a replacement ATX, torque converter, and got new mounts, and then had it blow up the day it came from the shop... that led to a 2nd replacement (warranty), but removal, reconditioning of that tranny (fluids, filters, gaskets, more fluids, seals), and labor for the 2nd one, and came out under $1600 total... Sounds like he probably either got a hell of a markup on parts, or got bad deals on parts. Typically, a reputable, quality shop won't charge TWICE the market rate on labor. Labor on that job should range from $250-600 in most areas. I charge $250-350 typically. Good luck!

Daniel
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

The last time my atx died on me it cost me $1,800 CDN.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

still too much, it would cost a bit less to have tranny rebuilt in 4x4 blazer (auto)
barbarino69

Post by barbarino69 »

I guess it all depends on where you live. If I were in colorado when it went out on me, I could have had the work done for about 700 dollars. Every shop down here in south florida tries to rip you off one way or another. Ive been down here for 2 years and Im still looking for an honest, dependable shop. If anyone in florida know of any such shops, let me know. ( I guess this is why so many people try to do it themselves)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just curious here.. when you guys are saying that you had your transmissions rebuilt for the amount of cash you are saying you paid.. did you remove the transmission and deliver it to the shop or did you have the car towed to their shop and have them do the removal as well as the rebuild and then the reinstall? If they did all 3 things.. then $2500 US is probably not too far off.. but if you took the trans to them and had them rebuild it.. then you did the reinstall yourself.. then $2500 is way high.. Most shops around here will build a removed trans for under $800-$900. Then you just pick it up and install it.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “Transmissions”