side rear lights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MX#3

side rear lights

Post by MX#3 »

My both rear red side lights stoped working on both sides. Do you guys know where is a common spot to check? I checked bulbs they seem to be ok. Thanks. :?:
MarkMoore

Re: side rear lights

Post by MarkMoore »

MX#3 wrote:My both rear red side lights stoped working on both sides. Do you guys know where is a common spot to check? I checked bulbs they seem to be ok. Thanks. :?:
fuse box is always a good place to start
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Part of the park light system. Other than bulbs, you haven't said what else you've checked. You haven't mentioned if all the other park light systems are working, dash light's, license plate lights, front park/turn, front sides(red), rear tail lights, or if you have been doing some other work on the car that was electrical related, or as Mark has mentioned - checking fuses. There is always the on-line manual or "Grants" wiring layout to refer to as far as wire routing/connections and colour codes. Once you've exhausted those self-searching attempts and still haven't resolved your problem, you'll at least have more insightfull info for us to go on. Hope this helps.
Last edited by jschrauwen on March 20th, 2005, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

There is a circuit with a 15A fuse in the driverside cabin fuse block that controls the Tails, Number lights(lic plate) & Sidemarkers (TNS) running thru a TNS relay under the driverside dash. If ALL those are out, replace the 15A fuse. If only the side markers are out and the rest of those lights still work, check the connection at the TNS relay to be sure it's fully connected. To find the TNS relay, it only has 4 pins (wires) and 2 of them are White with a Black stripe. You'll see several relays ganged up under there, the TNS relay should also be the one closest to you.
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Before proceeding with Neutral's TNS check lets back up a bit. Rear side markers are each piggy-backed off of each license plate bulb. If license plate lights are working than its of course between the 2. If license plate lights don't work than go to X-24 connector which connects all of those lights to the circuit to the TNS. Same wiring codes here as with license and side markers, pos - red/black & neg - black. X-24 located left rear quarter panel just ahead of gas filler. The connector leads ( same colour code) run along left side to TNS relay cable. Hope this helps.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
MX#3

Post by MX#3 »

Thanks guys. All other lights work only these two. Strange thing is my license plates lights never worked but these did up to couple of weeks ago.
I will check for relay connection. So online manual is back?
Last edited by MX#3 on March 20th, 2005, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

MX#3 wrote:Thanks guys. All other lights work only these two. Strange thing is my license plates lights never worked but these did up to couple of weeks ago.
I will check for relay connection. So online manual is back?
When you say the license plate lights never worked are you saying that it came that way from the factory or did you get it used. If used, WHEN??? Giving a time line helps us to help you. As previously mentioned, the rear side markers are tied into the license plate lights. Change bulbs, check wires and connections in and around the license plate and check for shorts in that area. Verify the integrity of the license plate lights first and then move on as addressed in posts above.
Not sure about on-line manual being unavailable. I have owned a Mazda MX3 shop Manual for 10 years, I make it a point to have a shop manual for every vehicle I buy - worth their weight in gold.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

MX#3 wrote:Thanks guys. All other lights work only these two. Strange thing is my license plates lights never worked but these did up to couple of weeks ago. I will check for relay connection. So online manual is back?
Online manual is back but doesn't include the Section T-E pages 27-30 or 33 that you'd want to refer to. In it's absence, we've been giving you extra specifics from our own hard copies of the factory shop manual re location of the correct under-dash TNS relay and the X-24 connector near gas filler tube. Since the wiring is pretty straightforward once you know where to find it, that should hopefully be enough for you to proceed. Post back if ya get jammed up though.
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

neutral, you old phart... good to see another hard copy around, by your profile, it must be an age thing... LOL
Hopefully he'll get it sorted.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

The online manual is damn handy but I still like to have the hard copy too. Sometimes just to skim thru it, but especially to take on a long road trip. The online manual can't help me there if I break down on the road... plus, just having it along means I NEVER have needed it on a trip. Like carrying an umbrella so it never rains. Murphy's law and all.

LOL, yeah, age thing. Ya got me beat but only by a couple years old-timer! Now where's my nurse? She's late today to give me my bath. :twisted:
Image -Jim
MX#3

Post by MX#3 »

Thanks for replys and help it was one of the license lights got rusted and lost contact. i will have to by pass it.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

neutral; our work here is done, good show M8. THE END!!

Don't you just love happy endings....LOL :lol:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

MX#3 wrote:Thanks for replys and help it was one of the license lights got rusted and lost contact. i will have to by pass it.
Why not fix instead, it is a ticketed offence in Ontario to not have your rear license illuminated, FWIW.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Why not fix instead
lol thats exactly what I thought but didn't wanna say it! Fix it now and you'll never need to worry about it again!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Grants wrote:
Why not fix instead
lol thats exactly what I thought but didn't wanna say it! Fix it now and you'll never need to worry about it again!
MX#3, Go to crappy tire or a Nappa auto parts or whatever auto parts with your old license plate light socket and wires and they have exact replacements for dirt cheap. If you've found the wiring schematic you'll also see that not only are your side markers tied into that circuit, but that it leads into a number of other circuits. Do you really want to take the chance and have this present small issues escalate into worse problems. Nip it in the but now and save yourself possible headaches down the road. A little soldering and time and you're done, FWIW.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”