car stalling while moving

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mxmaz

car stalling while moving

Post by mxmaz »

I am getting a code 16 and 17. When i was driving today i was going about 80 and i pressed in the clutch to gear down and as soon as i did that the car stalled, and of course when i let off on the clutch it cut back in. I've always been getting code 17 so is it possible that the egr is causing this? Seems like a pretty dangerous way for a car to react when the cel goes on. I always thought that e bad egr system would only give you bad emissions and not cause other s---.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

What does the online manual say for codes 16 & 17 - causes and symptoms?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I have no idea, cant find it.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Code 16 is the EGR position sensor. Code 17 is the Feedback System (left Side) Here is a link to a PDF file on Grants webpage that has all the trouble codes for the V6 and how to trouble shoot them.

http://www.mx3er.com/Info/Diagnostic%20 ... mplete.pdf

You will need Acrobat Reader to be able to view the file.

Good luck.

Tunes67
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Thanks tunes but i already knew that. Doesnt say anything about my car stalling though
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Did you notice the things that could be triggering the code 17? Seems there are a few things there that could be causing the stalling.. Things to check anyway..

Tunes67
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

does it stall all the time or just when you're moving? cause for me i had the problem where every time the rpm dropped below 1000, it stalled. it turned out to be a crack in the accordian tubing going from the air box to the throttle body. check it out, maybe its the same thing. hope this helps.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

nope, the ONLY time it stalls is when the cel light comes on. If i give it a nice shot of gas the cel will disappear. It then stays away till i get back to coasting along the way i was. It seems to take a while driving (long after the car has heated to normal) b4 the cel comes on. And once it comes on, the only way to get rid of it is to give it a shot of gas but like i say that only lasts a couple seconds before the cel reappears. Other then that, runs fine. I'm thinking if i adjust my idle higher it might stop the problem, but not solve the problem. When i was dropping the gear, i did it really slow and the revs had enough time to drop down to idle speed and idle is when im having the stalling problem usually, so im thinking thats why it did it while i was moving.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”