Speaker mounting depth?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
jbruynson

Speaker mounting depth?

Post by jbruynson »

Just wondering what the mounting depth in the doors are? No I don't have an mx-3 yet so don't say go take out the tape measure plz. I have a set of re XXX6.5's, there massive and im thinking theres no way they'll fit without some work. Thanks
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

With the window down, speaker center hole clearance depth measured from:
  • Rear depth: Inside-facing glass surface to inside-facing of door mounting surface is only 2 3/16" max. This would be measured on the speaker from the back of the magnet to the backside of the spkr mounting hole. Bolting in speakers that deep might still cause the window to just make contact with the rear of the speaker.

Stock speakers are only 1 1/2" deep. So, if your XXX6.5's are deeper than 2 1/8" then mounting for sufficient clearance will require an appropriate thickness trim-ring spacer like 1/4" plywood cut using the new speaker as a template.

Overall depth: From inside-facing glass surface to backside of the factory speaker grill-cover is 3 inches. This would be measured on your xxx6.5's from the back of the magnet to the face of the speaker basket or midrange/tweeter surface if it protrudes beyond the face of the speaker basket. An overall measurement here of 3+ inches means your speaker face would come into contact with the factory speaker grille regardless of whether you've spaced-out for enough rear clearance.

If that's the case, a mod will be needed to space-out the factory speaker grill. That scenario might be more trouble than it's worth, especially if you have manual windows which will require enough clearance for the window crank handle to be operated without getting blocked by the grill.
Image -Jim
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

thanks a lot, thats exactly what I needed to know.

The mids are 3 5/8" deep, so looks like its gonna take some work. I'm sure it can be done though. Have a 15" XXX that im gonna port too, so I think it should sound pretty good if I can get it all done.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”