another a/c ?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
93SOHC

another a/c ?

Post by 93SOHC »

I am going BP in a month or so, and My rs currently has a/c. It needs recharging but works otherwise. I was thinking of ripping it out to save weight (and HP. When I am running it, it's slow as hell) I really don't use it that much, but it is a nice convience to have on those 90 degree days. How much will I gain from removing it, versus how much is it gonna cost me to get it retro fitted to r134 is my ? Keep it or chuck it? Oppinions...
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

One thing is that you don't need to go R134A anymore - theres direct replacement gasses available for the R12. So you can keep your TX valve, dryer etc so there isn't much cost.

Heres a couple of links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 14972&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 18385&rd=1

As for the weight, etc, I'd definitely keep it in but I'd say we've got a different climate to you guys.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I don't know if you noticed grants, but I am in wisconsin and both of those auctions say:"not for sale in Wisconsin" Thats a really weird coincidence, wisconsin must have some weird law, i'll have to check into that...
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Wha??? No I didn't notice.... Thats weird - the second one ships world wide - just not Wisconsin. :shock:
Last edited by Grants on March 14th, 2005, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I just emailed the seller, so hopefully i'll get an explaination, but if you look at both of them, they both say it :?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Ship it via someone else on the board if you need it. I'm sure someone would help you out if it came down to it!

Please let us know what the seller says.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Grants: heres the email I got from the seller:

From: "enviro- friendly" <westside187inprogress@hotmail.com> Add to Address Book
To: blackmarketbaby77@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Question for item #7960314972 - Enviro-Safe R134a or R12 Basic Alternate A/C Recharge
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:20:51 -0600

Wisconsin Law does not allow the sale of refrigerant in containers of
less
that 25 lbs. Its called the small can ban.
It is the only state that is like that, and they means it!!
Thank you for asking!

>From: blackmarketbaby77@yahoo.com
>Reply-To: blackmarketbaby77@yahoo.com
>To: westside187inprogress@hotmail.com
>Subject: Question for item #7960314972 - Enviro-Safe R134a or R12
Basic
>Alternate A/C Recharge

I'll see if someone can hook me up, good idea Grants!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Somebody must be a real genius. Only place in the WORLD by the look of it! LOL!

Ah well you could always try that last link I posted - I'm sure it's a law that gets broken quite a lot and can't see how you'd ever get caught, unless the supplier was dumb enough to label the package or something...

Now I guess you gotta decide IF you want to keep your a/c.
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

How hard is it to recharge the air-con? Is it just it just a question of connecting hoses and listening to the gases hiss?

(I clicked on one of those ebay links, by the way, and noticed the risk of "Tumors on testicles" from certain refrigerants!)
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

recharging is simple! And don't put your nutz on the can while refilling, lol

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”