KLZE PLUGS

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

KLZE PLUGS

Post by jschrauwen »

OK, done my obligatory search and have not come up with conclusive results. Pulled old plugs from ZE (NGK R ZFR5F-11). Had already purchased 2.5L MX6 plugs (NGK Iridium IX, ZFR5FIX-11). Assuming same plug with the Iridium suffix (IX) added in the numbering. NGK site indicates '95 Xedos9 2.5L KLZE - ZFR5F-11 and '95 MX6 2.5L KL - ZFR5F-11. Both new and removed plugs look identical wrt electode projection length.

What are the rest of the ZE gang using for plugs? Am I in the the right heat range?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

Bkr6e11 is another type, NGK
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I use ones from the 93 Ford probe 4 cylinder. Same as the KLDE plugs but one heat range colder.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

4 cylinder probe plugs are the BKR6E-11. That is also the plug that come in the KLZE from the factory. In japan they are called NGK R's, here we call them V-Grooves. But they are both the same. I've heard bad stories about the ZFR's. They are a longer plug than the BKR and I've heard people talk about the gap closing up from the piston touching it or something.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mazdubber wrote:4 cylinder probe plugs are the BKR6E-11. That is also the plug that come in the KLZE from the factory. In japan they are called NGK R's, here we call them V-Grooves. But they are both the same. I've heard bad stories about the ZFR's. They are a longer plug than the BKR and I've heard people talk about the gap closing up from the piston touching it or something.
I used to know the NGK spark plug charts better years ago. I'm not sure what the ZF or the BK stands for in the BKR6E-11 / ZFR5FIX-11. Like I said before, the IX is just an added designator stipulating that it's an Iridium plug. I realize the #5 or #6 is your designated heat range and the #6 heat range is for the '95 2.0L Xedos6 and the #5 is for the 2.5L KL and KLZE (as per NGK website). I'm also not clear on the letter designation after the #5 or #6 - it's either an E or an F. Some where in the plug designation is the electrode extension length (projection)....I think. Motorcycle plugs included the letter P to reflect that it's a projected tip plug, so I'm assuming that perhaps the #11 covers that???? I think I'm still safe with this plug, but as you have eluded to MAZ, the issue of piston clearance concerns me, cause I vaguely remember a few posts addressing that, but I couldn't find that post. Hoping some of the ZE gang can give me the thumbs up on my plug selection.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

hmm I found an interesting little article about reading the spark plug code.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/s ... berkey.pdf

is this what you were talking about jschrauwen?
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Nice find Jb. Using the Euro NGK site didn't have this. That's a keeper, thanks. What say you, ZE gang??
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I always used NGK BKR7E-11's
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Don't have thme in yet but I just bought NGK iridium's for a 93-97 Milennia/626
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

do NOT use ZFR's in your engine!!! The pistons can hit those plugs & destroy everything.

U want the BKR6E11 (stock probe 4-cylinder FS motor ones)
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I just went and exchanged my plugs for the prob ones thanx Gro!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Gro, Trevor and others, many thanks.
Just spent last 2 hours sifting through PT archives and found almost similar posts to the pro's and con's of ZFR's and BKR's. Although there were ZFR's in my ZE originally, showing no signs of contact with piston, I believe I should side in the direction of prudence and go for the BKR's. Having said that, Trevor has Pm'd to say that he had BKR6EIX-11's to install and now he's going to exchange them again (I think).
Gro, I'd like to go the BKR route with BKR6EIX-11 because it has the colder range (6) for one but mostly because it's an Iridium plug (IX) which I believe is a more efficient plug. Can this be confirmed and because it's a BKR, I shouldn't have any clearance issues to be concerned with also - your thoughts? I know the Iridiums (IX) are pricey, but my baby's worth it.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Trevor wrote:I just went and exchanged my plugs for the prob ones thanx Gro!
What plugs did you end up using?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I did a search a couple weeks ago on my own, and found that the KLZE and KFZE in Japan both used Denso K20PR-U11.
http://translate.google.com/translate?

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... en%26lr%3D

I even checked the clearance of the plug electrodes with the heads off the car. There's no possible way these plugs will hit the pistons. Plenty of room. It makes things easier for me as those are the same plugs I use in my 2000 626, so I only have one kind of plug to use now.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”