warm up

A place for the MX-3 Community in Europe to gather.
rsroadkilla

warm up

Post by rsroadkilla »

Hey. Ever since i've owned my mx3, i've been leaving the car running for a few min's to let the casr warm up. When i bought the car, the previous owner told me to let the temp gauge hit the first notch before i drove the car.

Is this really neccesary, cos i hate the waiting around!!! :?
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

as far as im aware... -and this goes for all cars these days, unless theres some exceptions! the answer is No just turn the key, -get your headunit fascia in, turned on.. or whatever, or scrape the screen and drive off.. thats fine. I give mine a few seconds, just in case... lets any warning lights come on, or go off after the self test, lets the HLAs get fully pumped up, and everything circulating.

once your driving, on that cold engine.. keep the revs low, and dont floor it (avoid big explosions = strong forces) until the temp guage hits that bit that it sits in after a long drive - indicating its fully warmed up. after that, you can have fun and playtime :twisted:
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

thats cool then. Cos i was havin to wait for like 3-4 mins everyday sat on my drive. Was a pain in the arse!!!!

What does ur temp gauge usuallly sit at. Mine is just above half.
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

Just below half if I remember correctly
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hi

I say YES its necessary. It takes time for the oil to warm up and reach crevices in the engine. I have done this with all my cars, wait till the first notch is hit on the temp gauge and i have had no probs with any of them. The most engine damage is done when the car is cold..
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

93-Spec-Edn wrote:Hi
I say YES its necessary. It takes time for the oil to warm up and reach crevices in the engine. I have done this with all my cars, wait till the first notch is hit on the temp gauge and i have had no probs with any of them. The most engine damage is done when the car is cold..
If I remember with the K8, just above half should be fine.

I agree with 93-Spec-Edn, I think the cold start / warm engine issue was addressed in this forum. Having the engine at it's optimum operating temp before placing any stress on it (that includes just plain old moderate driving) is ideal. Take it from some cold weather guys, when you want that car to last you a long time and be trouble free, things like block heaters, battery wraps and inline coolant heater/pumps make all the difference. '93 will agree, you know it's cold out there when you have to drive for about 3 to 5 minutes before the squareness (flat spots) on the tires go away(wram up). So we know cold.
Warm up the car, it'll love you for it, however if you're an environmentalist you'd probably cringe at the idea. I think it's a very big NO-NO in Germany to let your car warm up for any more than 1 or 2 minutes.
just my 2 cents
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

It takes time for the oil to get there regardless of whether it is moving or not.. and when stone cold on my drive, its sitting there doing around 2000rpm.. when I've got it going down the road it'll be doing less than that, I change gear at 2000 when its cold - its still perfectly drivable at those low revs.. and if you've got less revs than idling it there in the driveway, your probably doing less damage.

Also if your driving it, your warming it up faster as the engine gets put under some load (ie its got to move the car along) admittedly this could be high load, if you floor it or whatever.. which leads to larger explosions, and thus they could be classed as 'damaging' -moreso than idling it there taking ages to warm up, so the answer to that, is not to floor it.. -which is easy enough..

admittedly these Jap cars do idle high and warm themselves up reasonably quickly, -thing is imagine this.. (one potential drawback)

you've been on holiday.. not used the car for a while.

the oil is cold and thick, and ALL or 99% of it is in the sump.. gravity has its way after that while without any oil being pumped around the block! you fire it up, and it sits around 2000rpm because its a stone cold engine ARRGHH :shock: nightmare if you ask me!! so make sure you use your cars regularly guys, keep that oil flowin' in the block!!

but to be honest, engines are rock 'ard, and aren't that easily damaged... probably sounds worse than the real situation is, plenty of people hammer the nuts off cars from stone cold and they're fine for years... although I personally couldn't ever do that to my car.. its just harsh somehow :cry:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I think were looking at it fairly similarly. Not to split hairs, that 3 to 4 minutes is not all that much of a wait. The colder it is the longer I let it warm up. The car is usually not up to operating temp but about halfway there. Granted, your weather doesn't get any where near as cold as here, so your wait time won't be as long. Remember, are cars are getting older now and these little idiosyncricies only help us to keep 'em a little longer. Whenever it's below 0c I always plug my (block heater) Protege in. Coolant is kept at a nice warm not hot temp. Residual heat is transferred to other parts of the engine, namely the sump, thereby improving oil flow on engine start-up to the critical parts (head, valves etc) much easier and much quicker and thereby reducing engine wear. Residual heat also keeps engine compartment warmer which in turn keeps the battery from getting too cold and therby increasing my cold cranking amp capability. Funny how a small inconveniant little thing like that can have so many benefits. At the end of it all, on those real cold mornings, it's nice to get in the car knowing that it will start every time and that there will be warm air from the heater in short order. Nice having a warm car to ride in before you leave the driveway for work in the morning rather than having it finally warmed up by the time you're nearing work. Then again, if we got to park in a heated garage, this would all be a mute subject......LOL.
OK, getting winded here, time to stop and get off the soapbox......way more than just my 2 cents this time......LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The sooner it gets to operating temperature, the better. The way to get it up there fast is to drive it. If it's idling, it isn't doing enough work to generate heat fast, and the wear while it warms up will be greater than if it's propelling the vehicle. Don't let it idle for more than 30 sec before ytou pull off, regardless of outside temperature.

But do take it easy until it's warmed up.

I had this advice from an automotive engineer - an engine designer.

It's different with aircraft - there, take-off power is more important than wear, so you get it fully warm before you point it down the runway.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

i dunno if i should leave it or not leave it now!! lol.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

IanL wrote:The sooner it gets to operating temperature, the better. The way to get it up there fast is to drive it. If it's idling, it isn't doing enough work to generate heat fast, and the wear while it warms up will be greater than if it's propelling the vehicle. Don't let it idle for more than 30 sec before ytou pull off, regardless of outside temperature.

But do take it easy until it's warmed up.

I had this advice from an automotive engineer - an engine designer.

It's different with aircraft - there, take-off power is more important than wear, so you get it fully warm before you point it down the runway.
Doesnt idleing put minimal stress on your engine? Driving it under load even at 2500rpm is way more stressful i would have thought. The reason I say this is that in canada it gets down to -40 C and at that temp your engine is super loud. Most people leave their cars warming up for 20mins b4 they take off, I have known people to take off at -40 and blow engines. I also agree with your reasoning behind driving straight off so now i am confused lol.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

snellgrove wrote:It takes time for the oil to get there regardless of whether it is moving or not.. and when stone cold on my drive, its sitting there doing around 2000rpm.. when I've got it going down the road it'll be doing less than that, I change gear at 2000 when its cold - its still perfectly drivable at those low revs.. and if you've got less revs than idling it there in the driveway, your probably doing less damage.

Also if your driving it, your warming it up faster as the engine gets put under some load (ie its got to move the car along) admittedly this could be high load, if you floor it or whatever.. which leads to larger explosions, and thus they could be classed as 'damaging' -moreso than idling it there taking ages to warm up, so the answer to that, is not to floor it.. -which is easy enough..

admittedly these Jap cars do idle high and warm themselves up reasonably quickly, -thing is imagine this.. (one potential drawback)

you've been on holiday.. not used the car for a while.

the oil is cold and thick, and ALL or 99% of it is in the sump.. gravity has its way after that while without any oil being pumped around the block! you fire it up, and it sits around 2000rpm because its a stone cold engine ARRGHH :shock: nightmare if you ask me!! so make sure you use your cars regularly guys, keep that oil flowin' in the block!!

but to be honest, engines are rock 'ard, and aren't that easily damaged... probably sounds worse than the real situation is, plenty of people hammer the nuts off cars from stone cold and they're fine for years... although I personally couldn't ever do that to my car.. its just harsh somehow :cry:
if it sits, pull the injector fuse, crank it for about 15 seconds or so then fire it up,
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

i wait 5 minutes on cold days no matter what,
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Return to “European MX-3 Community”