Opinions on the KLZE swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

Is it worth the swap from the 1.8L to the KLZE? Given the age and circimstances?

Oh yeah!
67%
Yes.
17%
Maybe...
17%
If you wanna put a WHOLE lot more money into it!
No votes
No.
No votes
Don't waste your time!
No votes

Total votes: 12

insanerino

Opinions on the KLZE swap?

Post by insanerino »

Okay guys.... I need some opinions! Here's the story: I have a pretty nice 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS. As you all know that's the model with the 1.8L V6. I'd say about a year ago I noticed the car was burning oil very fast. I've got opinions and suggestions and everything else from anyone who'd help and they all say it's a head on the way to being blown. I don't think it's blown yet or the car wouldn't be drivable. I think it just leakes and burns oil very fast. Plus I have oil mixed in with my coolant, even not long after a coolant flush. The body of the car is pretty sound. I have a little surface rust the size of maybe a dime on no more than 3 spots, and the doors are getting a little rust where the drain holes are at the bottom. I can get that fixed cheap, I have some guys who can do it. So, Do you think the engine is worth replacing? I'm thinking I want to drop a little extra money and put in a 2.5L KLZE engine. Do you think it's worth it? Do you think once the engine is in the process of being swapped I am going to end up putting in more than just the engine? The car is 12 years old after all. I just want to know if it's worth the money to do the swap and if I'm going to spend more than expected on the new engine, the new ECU, and the few other parts that cannot be swapped from the 1.8L. Do you think once the engine is swapped I am going to have to dump all kinds of money into a tranny, clutch, and basically the whole lower engine?

Just wanted some opinions on this one...

Thanks guys
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Plus I have oil mixed in with my coolant,
This is evidence of either a blown head gasket, cracked head or a cracked block.. in either case.. not good.. most likely a blown head gasket though.. that would also account for the excessive oil usage. As far as whether or not your car is worth a KLZE or any other engine swap.. well thats your call man.. if you love the car.. dont let it go to waste. Maybe find another car in great condition and use your current ride as a parts car.. either way.. dont let it end up in a junk yard ;)

Tunes67
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Its like everything, if the body shell and running gear is pretty sound,
and you want to do the "basic" klze swap to be running on a "fresher"
motor than you have go for it.

But be warned, once you get started on a project cos that what the swap
is you tend to start replacing a few bit's for long running life.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”