SOHC ecu on BP??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Domnknpimp

SOHC ecu on BP??

Post by Domnknpimp »

I'm getting ready to do my BP swap, and haven't been able to find an ECU locally at a good price.... Someone told me that one of the main problems w/ using the SOHC ecu would be the Fuel Injectors not working the right way..... . If I used my old injector harness, and adapted them to fit the BP, could I temporarily run the engine that way? (no more than 2 weeks) I know it would probably not run to its full potential, and the VICS wont work, but i gotta get the engine in the car ASAP... Are there any other plugs or wires that i would have to mess with to be able to do this? Thanks
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

well let me answer my own question, since not many people really know the truth.... i searched in the protege forum, and YES the SOHC ecu will work on the BP engine. Guys with the 1.8 SOHC have done it, and there was a guy w/ a 1.6 SOHC mx-3 who did it too. The engine will run fine, w/out stumbling or having a bad idle, but the VICS wont work. So when people say you HAVE to change it, they're wrong, (its just recommended). I'm posting this here, not to argue with everyone who always says its completely necessary, but to help those out trying to do the swap on a low budget.... they can get the engine now, and change the ecu later on (next paycheck in my case).
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

it will RUN, but not FINE.... the fuel maps are entirely different. One is meant for dealing with 1600cc, another is meant for an engine with 1800cc... no matter how you cut it, it will NOT run very well. Get a BP ecu. They're not THAT hard to find at all on http://www.car-part.com

Alternatively, ask around in clubprotege... that's how I found my ecu.

20 bucks :P
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

your also missing out on 1,000 rpms worth of acceleration...
one other issue is your using 235cc injectors on an ECU programmed for 195cc injectors. Might want to tune your VAF some...
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
Joe Carlson

Post by Joe Carlson »

I have a BP ecu I'll sell cheap, its a BP09 From a 92 EGT. And a complete BP wiring harness as well.
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”