Plastic headlight polish

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Plastic headlight polish

Post by Tunes67 »

Hey guys.. I tried some of our acrylic polish on my badly fogged headlights today at lunch.. 5 minutes and clear as new on the outside (need to take them off and rinse the dust and water spots out of the inside still) Anyway.. here is a link to the polish I used.. its specific to plastics & acrylics. Been using this stuff at work for about 4 years now and its pretty good stuff.. I used #2 to do my headlights.. #3 would probably be too heavy unless you have bad scratches. Just a heads up.. this stuff is cheap and works awesome.

http://www.stealthhomeamusement.com/ste ... plpon.html

Tunes67
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

my mx-3 headlights were easy to clear up, my 98 ford zx2 is a different story. Any product i put on the lens makes it look good for a few hours but then it fogs up even worse (the polish stuff gets in the tiny cracks put there by the sun)....i think its hopeless lol
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

This is what the MOCA guys use and it works VERY well...

Yeah it says metal polish, but it works DAMN good on Plastic too!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Uh, I'm in MOCA, but don't endorse that product. It leaves a film on the plastic that Meguire's plastic cleaner and polish don't.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

uhh no it doesnt....

You must have done it wrong!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Even before Meguire's came out, for ten years I was using Mothers pre-wax cleaner and polish remover. It worked quite effectively and I never ever had a foggy or dull finish. I would always do this every 2nd or 3rd time I washed the car. It was a 5 minute job that's well worth it. BTW, after the wax cleaner remover I would wax the headlights with Mothers polish also. It's done very well for me to this point. Those that would have looked at them before my J-Spec conversion could not tell the difference from the original headlight and the one that was replaced with a new one. I must have been doing something right.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

I have custom bird poo on my driver's headlight. No seriously, the guy who painted my car spilled something on it and it perminently stained it.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Perry, yes it does leave a residue. Look at at CLEAR lamp cover after using it. It took me days to get that crap off. The reason for saying that is that if it leaves a residue your not getting the clearest cover possible. Meguires doesn't leave any residue and that is why I use it.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mazdaspeed96743

Post by Mazdaspeed96743 »

Can I use this for my MX Headlights?? because this is the polish I have=

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1853_22365895
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

guys try gs27, that stuff worked very well on my headlights
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Jeff K

Post by Jeff K »

do you think if i sand down the head lights in the car with fine sand paper and than do a wet sant with really fine sand paper i can get them to become clear?
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Try a "Flitz ball" to make it an even sand job. (a polishing device that attaches to the end of a hand drill.) It saves your arm strength too. I used one on mine and it worked great.

cheers!
8)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
vtmx3

yes

Post by vtmx3 »

Ok, use meguires medium cut buffing compound, then use mothers metal polish, and top it off with a nice cleaner wax. trust me on this one.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Ive tried everything from waxes to polishing compounds trying to keep my headlights clean.
Of all the different stuff I have tried over the past 8 years cleaning my lenses, this stuff is the best I have used.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I start with Meguires metal polish, than finish up with their plastic polish, it works really well, but I see next time to gives Custommx3 combo a try...look like an interesting combination
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”