High RPMs

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Keira

High RPMs

Post by Keira »

I have a 94 GS and im at about 4.9 RPMs going 50 MPH in 5th gear.
Could this be due to the clutch slipping or maybe something else? I hope it isnt the clutch.
Also, my exaust is pretty rusted out and its really loud. I havent gotten it looked at but it seems that i dont have any back pressure.
And... my car is burning gas pretty fast and whenever i check my oil it is low.
So if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong with it that would help.
thanks
Talon_66

Re: High RPMs

Post by Talon_66 »

Keira wrote:I have a 94 GS and im at about 4.9 RPMs going 50 MPH in 5th gear.
Could this be due to the clutch slipping or maybe something else? I hope it isnt the clutch.
Also, my exaust is pretty rusted out and its really loud. I havent gotten it looked at but it seems that i dont have any back pressure.
And... my car is burning gas pretty fast and whenever i check my oil it is low.
So if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong with it that would help.
thanks
Could it be due to Gearing of the transmission?
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

It could be a slipping clutch.. but likely you would feel that as well. Does the engine "Sound" like its doing 4900 rpm? I mean does it sound the same doing 4900 RPM in nuetral as it does when you are doing 4900 RPM in 5th gear? Or does it "sound" like a lower RPM speed? Kinda weird to have that high of RPM in 5th gear @ 50 mph.. even with my ATX trans at 50 I am only pulling around 2000 RPM. If the engine doesnt sound like its stressing at all.. my guess would be that your Tach is malfunctioning.. on the other hand.. if it sounds like its doing that RPM.. well it probably is the clutch slipping.

Tunes67
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

is the 'GS' the 1.8 V6 one?

FYI: I have a 1.8 V6, completely standard alloys/tyres -so no speedo errors there, and its a Manual-Transmission.

I was on the motorway the other day and was doing 4000rpm in 5th gear, at 75mph.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

yes, GS = 1.8L V6
G..S..

!!!

Post by G..S.. »

RoundTop wrote:yes, GS = 1.8L V6

Did you ever happen to check you spark plugs???Its a possiblity that your spark plug wires or"spark plug" is actually cracked!!. Give a good look at it,hopefully thats the problem!
I own a black mazda Mx-3 v6 gs,cold air intake,costum muffler,momo wheels,250w sony cd player,450 watt sony amp. with 2 twelve inch kicker impulse subs,ported box...ect. nothing much and a T-3 turbo" not on right now"
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm im going to try that..also i tought my clutch was goiung..it ewnded up being the kat being clogged..but then again this car has high revs on highway on 5th gear..its normal..when your clutch slips u can feel it..the rps go high high and it smells like burnt clutch or burn smell that is not oil. I find my clutch is fine because i can peel out nicely..so it cant be the cxlutch..im still clueless as to my loss of power..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Can someone clue me in on what "clogs" a cat? Is it unburnt exhaust fumes or something building up in there? Or are we talking somehow dirt and whatnot got sucked up in there?

Woohoo! Fort Bliss, TX! Is the Naked Harem still around? 8)
No more MX-3.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: High RPMs

Post by jschrauwen »

Keira wrote: 4.9 RPMs going 50 MPH in 5th gear.
my exaust is pretty rusted out and its really loud.
my car is burning gas pretty fast
check my oil it is low.

any ideas of what could be wrong
YA...Don't take this the wrong way, but it appears that you have sadly neglected your car and now that your encountering the consequences you're looking for a quick fix. IMO...find a reliable shop...get it sorted out and ask for a schedule/routine to follow (ask them to show you where and what) as to maintain your car's reliability - welcome to the responsibilities of car ownership.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Keira

Post by Keira »

i dont neglect my car, i just bought it
ran perfectly a month ago
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

cats dont die,they are murdered either by too much fuel or cooked .,
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

jimishadow wrote:cats dont die,they are murdered either by too much fuel or cooked .,
!!!!
Somebody please think of the children! :twisted: :lol: :P
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Keira wrote:i dont neglect my car, i just bought it
ran perfectly a month ago
Wasn't trying to be insulting, but things like an exhaust just don't rust out and get really loud in the first month of ownership. It was either missed while you gave the car the once over or the shop that inspected the car for you prior to purchase. And if you purchased it certified, than for sure a BIG RED FLAG should go up. At any rate, can't change that. You say that your oil is always low when you check it. Does this mean that you're constantly topping it up to the correct level and your losing oil on a regular basis. After driving, confirm by parking your car (for over night if able) on a large piece of cardboard under the engine bay and see what appears in the morning. Have you checked your coolant - level and colour? If it's a milky colour than we're in big $$$ trouble. The reason I asked is that you said you're suffering dramatic power losses at speed. Since you made no mention of possible clutch slippage at lower gears, I'm thinking that it's not the clutch. Hoping that it's not a cracked head or block. Are your valve covers weeping oil from the edges? One at a time take each spark plug out and see if something reveals itself. A little more specifics and descriptions on what you see, hear after you've done this or that - cause and effect. That would be immensely helpfull. Give it a try Keira and good luck.
BTW, if you've only had it a month, wasn't there some sort of warranty - 30 - 60 - 90 days perhaps. If it was sold certified, any mechanical problems encountered within 30 days (?) is the the responsibility of the vendor - I think, maybe the certifying shop??? FWIW
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Keira

Post by Keira »

I havent been topping the oil off, i changed it right when i got my car then i took it for an oil change when i noticed that it wasnt staying full, just so they could check for any leaks, etc. I was told it wasnt leaking, probably just burning quickly. I got my valve covers sealed and i dont see anything wrong there. My coolant is ok, not milky or brown, and the level is ok.

Anytime i am accelerating, even softly, i hear that nasty muffler noise and especially when i start my car. Same with when i use the cruise, anytime it needs to maintain the speed it is really loud but then when i go downhill it will get quieter. But i noticed that the RPMs arent constant. When the heat/air is off the RPMs are much lower at high speeds. And after I fill my tank the RPMs are almost normal, it is just when I get low on gas that they are so high.

Another thing that happened when i first got my car is the check engine light would come on anytime i would go past 60 MPH and kinda flicker on and off until i slowed down. I thought, at that point, that there may be a problem between the engine and the exaust system, but i wasnt hearing any sort of unusual noise then.

And I know you werent trying to be insulting but i love cars, especially mine, i would never neglect it.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

There we go, I think we're zeroing in on it. It appears that your car may be starving for fuel or maybe, worst case, an obstruction in the fuel line(?). First off, I would replace the fuel filter, something that gets put off or neglected over time, probably because of cost and lack of easy installation. Probably discount faulty fuel pump regulator at this point until fuel filter is changed. If by chance something (contaminant) got into your fuel tank like perhaps a bad batch of gas or that there's an over abundance of moisture that's accumulated over the years into water in the tank. This is why I'm thinkin' that whenever your low on fuel it appears to be worse - your drawing in more contaminated fuel as the level in the tank gets lower. Your improvement in performance going downhill also points at the same thing. At any rate I'm suspecting it's a lack of or bad fuel situation. Try pulling CEL codes from memory when the chance permits. Right away a fuel filter and if you've got a "friend" in a shop smewhere ask if they could draw a sample of fuel from the tank or have the person changing your fuel filter to try and capture a viable amount of fuel from the fuel line. This is a good start for now. Good luck, keep us posted.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”