axle SHAFT being a B**ch see Pg2

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JWMX3

axle SHAFT being a B**ch see Pg2

Post by JWMX3 »

i was having a hell of a time getting my axle nuts off with a big a-- breaker bar when it came to me........ i hope its not reverse thread and ive been tightening it the whole time !! :o so can somebody confirm, its lefty loosey on our axle nuts correct ?
Last edited by JWMX3 on February 2nd, 2005, 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

No it's not a reverse thread. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey :D .

I hope someone else is there to help you press down on the brake pedal!
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

yah ive got a brake pedal helper :)

thanks tho, now i really dont get how its not coming off :(
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

often the nut as a notch so it can't turn..look at the end of the nut to see if it can be untighten..sorry for the poor explanation..I can't find the good words
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
yvan

Post by yvan »

oh i remember this one, i just got my off the other week, luckly i got a good size compressor,,and air gun.. took forever and those nuts were rounding off.. just keep blasting it back and forth,,and use lots 0f pb blaster,,,wd40 won't help you here. or plan B,,, heat the darn thing with an oxy torch,,and it'll come off like butter.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

babyblue--- you are talking about the pinch in the nut , and yah i got that out.

yvan- funny you should mention a torch, i heated the son of a B**** up with an acetylene torch for a good 1-2 minutes and the damn thing still wouldnt budge

i guess the only thing i can do is keep trying
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

I couldnt get mine then i used penetrating oil and that with a 6 foot pole to press on broke it lose no problem. just keep trying and dont be afraid to put to much pressure on it. as long as you rounded the nut again and got rid of the notch, you should be able to get it
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
hoffman_BMX89

Post by hoffman_BMX89 »

i had this problem too i jammed a flathead through the caliper in my brake rotor in the spaces around the top this works better than someone on the brakes then i heated it up and put a pipe on the end of a ratchet and gave her hell this worked and i tried everything else
good luck I know its a b----
95 Mx-3 GS [R.I.P.]
96 Mx-3 GSR [Sold]
97 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder [For Sale]
97 Saturn SL2 [Sold]
03 Corvette Z06 [Current toy]
98 Saturn SL2 [Daily]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2176731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

buy airtools. I've rarely been able to get axles nuts off using breaker bars, but every one i've encountered w/my 500 ft lb impact gun came off...some required 2 straight minutes of hammering but eventually gave.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Yeah, Air tools are the only way. A buddy of mine had air tools and his didn't have enough tourqe to get them off so we had to get a friend with a better air gun to help us get them off. We had a 6ft pipe on the end of a breaker bar before we went to the air tools...and nothing!
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
msilverton

Re: axle nut being a B**ch

Post by msilverton »

JWMX3 wrote:i was having a hell of a time getting my axle nuts off with a big a-- breaker bar when it came to me........ i hope its not reverse thread and ive been tightening it the whole time !! :o so can somebody confirm, its lefty loosey on our axle nuts correct ?
I just went to a local shop, had them looosen, then snug it back on. Took it home and it came off easily. They did not even charge me.

Mike
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

jump on the breaker bar...good ol jumpin on stuff always works! :P Those babies are tourqued down to 200 and something ft lbs. then the corrosion factor makes them bitches.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

mazdubber wrote:jump on the breaker bar...good ol jumpin on stuff always works! :P .
Worked for me when i chabged mine.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I couldn't get mine off for anything. Yup, torched it right in half, baby!
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

MSilverton took my approach. I took mine to a shop where they broke it right loose and then I had them snug it back on. I drove home very carefully and it came right off. They didn't charge me either but I gave the guy $5.00. This is the best Idea when you cannot afford air tools or better air tools.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”