please help! removing molded bodykit

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
justintoxicated

please help! removing molded bodykit

Post by justintoxicated »

soon i will be getting rid of the body kit on my car...before you ask why let me explain...i bought the car about 8 months ago off of a friend. a year or so before that my friend had his friend who is somewhat of a bodywork guy mold on combat sideskirts and installed combat front bumper (not molded). he also did some custom bondo work to get rid of the indentation thing that runs down side of the car, which looks cool...the problem is he didnt do a great job because the molding is cracking where all of the bondo is. and it needs to be redone. i called the bodywork guy and he said he would redo everything for me this summer for a decent price. which is all well and good, but the problem is a few days ago i was driving in snow hit a curb and cracked my bumper in half. i cant drive without a bumper. this weekend i am going to buy a junkyard bumper put it on and remove all the bondo and the sideskirts from the car (so it looks stock again). my question is how do i go about doing this? i want to make sure i dont damage the sideskirts or any of the metal of the car (i couldnt care less about hurting the paint). but i wanna keep the kit in good shape for when i get the work redone. how do i take these things off without damaging them? like i said they are molded on...any help would be greatly apreciated because i am gonna try and do it this weekend so i can get back on the road. thanks for reading. :)
Got Rice? You do!
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

lightly tapping the areas where you suspect the bondo is(with a rubber mallet) should crack the old body fill. then you know what you are dealing with. if it is cracking already, then a plyable bonding adheasive obviously wasn't used and the bondo is THICK. So once cracked you shouldn't have much problem chipping away at it and should come out in fairly big chunks. the sides may be riveted on as well so taking them off could be quite a pain, maybe a good idea just to redo the bodywork and mold the sides back in again. good luck.
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

Out of interest do you have any pics of the car with the moulded side indentation? I've never seen that done before.
justintoxicated

hey nos thanks for the advice...ill pick up a rubber mallet today and get to work. ill let you know how it goes. and yes i do have pics of the car here: http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/secondstory/mx-3 mind you these pics are about 6 months old and taken before most of the bodywork started to break but you can see cracks in it if you look hard enough. any other help on this topic would be apreciated. thanks.
Got Rice? You do!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey i tried clicking the pic, but when I did only a chopped picture came out..is it me or the pic is corrupoted?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Im a bit curious here, are you sure its a FX front on the car? or is it maybe a Pakfeiferfront....

I allways thought the FX front looked ten times better than the Paki because it was more rounded to better follow the flow of the MX..

But in your picture that sharp edged look really shows, Is it really a FX front bumper :?:
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
justintoxicated

well, my friend said he got it from onderground and that it is the fx designs combat bumper...so i believed him
Got Rice? You do!
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Oh okay so its only a copy and not the real deal, thanks for the info :)
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: please help! removing molded bodykit

Post by jschrauwen »

justintoxicated wrote:my friend had his friend who is somewhat of a bodywork guy mold on combat sideskirts and installed combat front bumper (not molded). he also did some custom bondo work to get rid of the indentation thing that runs down side of the car, which looks cool...the problem is he didnt do a great job because the molding is cracking where all of the bondo is. and it needs to be redone. i called the bodywork guy and he said he would redo everything for me this summer for a decent price. :)
You are encountering what appears to be the results of some real shotty body work. Why in the world would you want to return to this same person and possibly get sub-standard work done again? I'd stear clear of this "friend" with the "decent price"....find a more reputable body-man, even if it does cost a few bucks more, your further ahead in the long run, unless you don't plan on keeping the car very long.
Just my 2 pennies.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
justintoxicated

well, it has been like 2 years since he has done the work, and when i talked to him, he guaranteed me it wouldnt crack when he redoes it, he said he got alot better at it, snd uses some new techniques so it wont crack.
Got Rice? You do!
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

If you are going to fill in the indentation on the side of the car like that and use straight body filler, dont even bother doing it again. Any real body man knows you have to do metal work before you fill. The more filler there is the more likely it is to crack.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

justintoxicated wrote:but the problem is a few days ago i was driving in snow hit a curb and cracked my bumper in half. i cant drive without a bumper.
You cracked the bumper in half, or the bumper fascia in half? You can drive with no bumper fascia legally just fine as long as the bumper underneath is in tact.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

lakersfan1 wrote:
justintoxicated wrote:but the problem is a few days ago i was driving in snow hit a curb and cracked my bumper in half. i cant drive without a bumper.
You cracked the bumper in half, or the bumper fascia in half? You can drive with no bumper fascia legally just fine as long as the bumper underneath is in tact.
?? Who cares...this thread is over a year old, why ressurect it?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
den

Post by den »

LOL! :D
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter

Return to “Appearance”