Replacing cargo/trunk lid hatchback thingy?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mamoo

Replacing cargo/trunk lid hatchback thingy?

Post by mamoo »

When I bought my MX-3, it was missing the trunk lid. I didn't mind, because I didn't think it was a big deal, and besides, I've noticed that many (even most) MXs don't have them.

However, I now think it's a bit of an eyesore. Kind of hurts the looks to have my booster pack, ice scraper, tool kit and antifreeze visible.

I suppose it'd be a pain to track one down and order it, but would it be possible to make one out of plywood, then staple some fabric to it that matches the interior?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Absolutely you can do this. You'd have an easier time if you can also look at someone's MX-3 who has theirs intact enough that you can use it as a template and also see how it fits into the side support points.

My factory one was only semi-intact and so heavy I got rid of it. I never built one but considered it after finding that used ones were usually already trashed and Mazda wanted something like $300+ for a new one.

Might wanna talk to Gregory Christian on this board cuz I'm pretty sure he did this and even designed a huge Mazda logo for his new trunk lid that complimented the color of his car. You can probably still check out pics at Gregory's cardomain page.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

I used 1/4 inch plywood. Go find one in a junkyard that is all beat up and take the front latching pieces off it and the aft strings. Then pull the black fabric off it (or buy some thin black cloth) and use spray adhesive on the wood and back of the fabric, let it dry a minute or so, then lay the carpet on the wood and smooth it out (do the bottom first so that the top fabric pulls around the edges and hides the seams) . Bolt on the hardware on the front underside, and drill two small holes in the rear for the hanging strings.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I am actually going to use all the parts from the one I have to redo it. So yeah, get a crappy one from the j/y and use the pieces. Perspnally I work at a plastics place so im going to use some scrap plastic plus the mounting points and hinge things from the old one, then cover it in carpet. Topic should be moved to appearence
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”