water pump making noise

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ninjajim4

water pump making noise

Post by ninjajim4 »

my water pump makes a kinda chakka-chakka-chakka noise. i'm guessing it's on the way out?

it seems real hard to get to it, is it easy to change out myself?

and i've heard i should change out the thermostat with the pump, any truth to that? thnx guys!

-Jim
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

If your pump is making noise at all it is good to change it, safer that way. And it is recommended that @ 60,000 miles you should change timing belt, water pump and thermostat. So if you arround that milage then change them all if you can. My 92 mx3 gs just hit 60,000 miles and now I have to change them all so hope this helps.
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 speed6, Wife say's i can't work on it.
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin Replica
2006 toyota tacoma
1995 MX-6 in pieces almost ready for the junk yard, To much body damage.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Huge job, plus its very hard to determine where the sound is coming from. There is an idler pulley directly above it, you can't see without removing the timing cover, the bearings in it could be what your hearing.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
userAttila19

Post by userAttila19 »

Hey guys; I'm hearing the same noise, but for me it's only on start up. You can hear some hitting sounds and then it sounds like a washing machine. After about a minute of warming it goes away. I'm guessing this can't be too good. I had a frozen rad last winter in -50 weather. Maybe the strain from that messed my water pump or something else in the system?
:!:
No time to slow down. 1995 MX-3 GS http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/566272
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Zoso124 wrote:Huge job, plus its very hard to determine where the sound is coming from. There is an idler pulley directly above it, you can't see without removing the timing cover, the bearings in it could be what your hearing.
hmm thats discouraging... i guess i'll wait til somethin breaks... its not a loud noise by any means -- just makes my ride sound as old as it actually is. =/

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”