Damn alternator belt ...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mamoo

Damn alternator belt ...

Post by mamoo »

Okay, as some of you recall, I had a thread the other day about my alternator belt (here).

Last night, I did a bit more fine-tuning, and the thing was running great. No squeaking at all! I went for a test drive, and enjoyed the hell out of actually being able to hear the music -- previously, the squealing alternator belt made that quite difficult.

Well, this morning I went down and started it, and dammit all, it started squealing again! I sprayed it with my dwindling can of belt-conditioner stuff, and the squealing stopped. Then I tried revving the engine a bit to see what was what, and the damn thing snapped!

What the hell is going on? Was it too tight? Too loose? It was kind of sticky from all the belt conditioner I'd sprayed on over the last week or so -- did that screw things up?

And how horribly hard is it to replace the belt?
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

its not hard to repalce...same way you adjust it but just put the new one on when you have it lose!! The only thing that sucks abou tthat is that you have to remove the power steering belt to put a new altenator belt on!!! Yeah when the belt was to tight it probably scorched the belt causing it to weaken!! Good luck!!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Should I treat the pulleys before putting a new one on? Wiping them off maybe?

Also, where, exactly, is the bolt to loosen the front pulley of the power steering belt?
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

You could clean the pulleys!! The bolt is right under the pulley..its attached to the tensioner and is bolted to a bracket!! Follow the tensioner bolt and you will see where it is located...you just have to losen it dont take it all the way off!!!! Good luck!!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Joey's mx wrote:You could clean the pulleys!! The bolt is right under the pulley..its attached to the tensioner and is bolted to a bracket!! Follow the tensioner bolt and you will see where it is located...you just have to losen it dont take it all the way off!!!! Good luck!!
Groovy, thanks!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Okay, I still can't quite locate the damn thing ... where exactly is the tensioner bolt? Can I reach it without removing the engine?
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Yes...the tensioner bolt is right in the front of the engine under the power steering pump!! the othewr bolt is on the side of the engine right under the power steering pump pulley!! Good luck
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Hmm ... I managed to loosen the tensioner bolt, and the bolt that mounts it to the power steering pump, and the belt is still much too tight to take off.

Is there some way I can make the dang belt nice and loose?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

If the belt is new you should not spray belt dressing on it. Belt dressing actually breaks down the rubber to make it softer. This is fine if the belt is old and dry but on a new belt it just kills it and rubber just falls apart. Make sure the belt is rated for automotive purposes I once accidently got an industrial belt of the correct size but it shreaded after about 100km and didn't handle the high continuous rpms. Also certain brands of belts slip no matter how tight the belt is. Goodyear Gatorbacks are the worst for this.
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Actually, I noticed that the old alternator belt has a slightly different part number, so perhaps that's why it broke.

So ... any advice on loosening the power steering belt?
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

HEEEEELP!!!

I'm desperate to loosen that damn power steering belt! Just for five minutes so I can put in the new alternator belt!

I've loosened the tension bolt, and the bolt that mounts it beneath the power steering pump, but the damn belt still isn't lose.

Please! What am I missing?
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

HOOOORAY!!!! I did it! Scraped some knuckles, bruised some arms, but it got done!

I tell you, that damn power steering belt was a major-league pain in the butt to loosen. Finally, after loosening all the required bolts, I had to lean on the power steering pump housing.

Then I had a hell of a time getting the alternator belt on. But it's done! And all whisper quiet!

Let's hope it stays that way ...

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone, especially Joey's MX, who offered guidance and advice. Y'all saved me a ton of cash. And helped my self-esteem, too!
phillyMX3mayn

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

it wont.
-Steve
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

k i had the same damn problem whats happening is that your bearing in the altenator is seizing up and the belt is just sliding on the pulley so ya you can try to change the bearing but i just kept on going for the whole warranty on the altenator theory so if u change the altenator charge the battery and dont have any acceseries going when u start it then slowly try turn them on because when u have them all on at once its too much load on the altenator. TRUST ME im on my 4th altenator in a year and a half i ve learnt
phillyMX3mayn

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

check to make sure the pulleys arnt wobbling...my water pump pulley is crooked causing a sqeal
-Steve

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”