dont know what to do

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Night MX-3

dont know what to do

Post by Night MX-3 »

Hey guys...I know you are going to tell me to search but i've been searching all over..I guess I just need help decideing or whatever?

what has happend is my tranny is pretty much blown, and I have a biiig oil leak that has tried to been fixed before. So im out of a car right now, and im either buying another one...my brother may give me his civic in june if he gets a new car(but that is a good 5 months of sharing cars and getting rides EEEK)...or swaping in a new motor with a standard tranny. I would love to keep this mx because im in love with it like no other car. But, I cant really decide what route to go. I had originally thought I would try to put a BPT in with a new 5-speed (current tranny is an auto). I hardly know anything about engines and such, so I will not be doing the swap myself (which I know will be more expensive). But I have been reading up about some people swaping the BP in and turboing it...which can produce more power if im not mistaken? If you go the BP way and turbo it..are you looking into it being more expensive or possibly less..maybe same? Also because I will not be doing the swap myself..will buying the BP and turboing it be way more work labor wise? I just want to be careful when getting into this area and take my time to figure everything out before spending my money. Any help would be Greatly appreciated..lets try to bring this mx back to life guys!
94 Honda Prelude SI
95 Mazda Mx-3 I4 auto (b0rked)

http://www.riderevolution.com
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

first off, yes turboing it and going from auto to 5speed is going to be very expensive, because u need alot of different parts and things that arent on ur auto... and about the turboing, this is VERY labor intensive, because of the custom pipe bending and things that will have to be done if u dont have the piping already... let alone the cost of a turbo, manifold, and all the other hardware... unless u find one of the rare ones from older mazda's... even then u will have to look into a boost controller and a timer.... with a shop doing it, you would very easily be looking at over $2k total... thats going cheap on some of the parts.. since i know having a transmission put in is very expensive, thats why i did mine myself... its really not that hard at all..

i put a 5 speed in in less then a day, thats with a new clutch, ive seen auto's put in, its a little more time consuming, but its not that much harder, biggest problem is getting it off the engine and out of the engine bay, since theres not much room to work with...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”