Hold Button

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
purewhitemp5

Hold Button

Post by purewhitemp5 »

New here. Okay bought a 92 MX-3 GS ( $40 ) and it did not come with the owners manual . What is the main function of the hold button and how does it work? Also on the center console there is a little slider switch next to the AT gear selector on the front right side any clue what this is and what it does? One last thing, Where can I find a 92 owners manual? :(
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

The hold button is to shorten the gears for driving down steep hills as well as driving in the snow.

Do not drive high spees with it, you could destroy your tranny.

If you look inthe online manual, you can read more about it.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you bought the car for 40 dlls?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
purewhitemp5

YUP $40

Post by purewhitemp5 »

[q 8) uote="hgallegos915"]you bought the car for 40 dlls?[/quote]

The car has been sitting since 3/2000 as it did not run. I popped the hood replaced the battery and gave it a crank sure nuff it wouldn't start , sounded like it wanted to but didn't. After looking under the hood for 5 mins I handed over the $40 (For the new timing belt that was put on 4 months ago. So basically the car was free) and with the owner looking on and laughing saying "Good luck with that POS!!" I proceeded back under the hood and corrected the firing order on the Dis. cap. Then got back in the car started it up and drove away yelling and laughing "Thanks for the deal of the century!!!!!" (Honk, Honk) Ya should have seen the look on his face!!
barbarino69

Post by barbarino69 »

nice man, hard to believe and yet I do.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

WOW haha it would be nice if u had that on tape. lol a free mx3...i dont think anyone can beat that.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

HAHAHA wow, I wish that would happen to me once...
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

the little slider switch allows you to move the selector without the keys in
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

Aston Wards wrote:the little slider switch allows you to move the selector without the keys in
what do u mean?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Custommx3 wrote:The hold button is to shorten the gears for driving down steep hills as well as driving in the snow.

Do not drive high spees with it, you could destroy your tranny.

If you look inthe online manual, you can read more about it.

ohhh, i own the car for over a year and NOW i find out what that stupid button is for !!!!! thanks custommx3 :lol:

but its too late.... the auto shifter is gone and never to return, and i never got to use my hold button *sob* :cry:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

MarkMoore wrote:
Aston Wards wrote:the little slider switch allows you to move the selector without the keys in
what do u mean?

pretty much what i said LOL!

normally you can't leave the car parked in gear (or neutral), the key doesn't come out of the ignition

but if you want to do this for some reason (like taking the centre console off, where the selector gets in the way) or pushing the car......., you simply slide the switch down & move the selector, i'm sure there are other reasons, maybe parking on a slope??? but this is what i've used it for myself
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

oh ok, i didn't know what u meant by 'selector'... guess it a New Zealand thing :D jk
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

actully the hold button doesn't shorten the gears it locks the tranny in thrid gear and only gos back in to first when the car is stoped
92MX-3Red

Hold Button and beat your price!!!

Post by 92MX-3Red »

You think you riped off a guy!
I bought a 92 MX-3 4-Cyl for a hundred bucks...
The guy thought it needed a new tranny. The Body is perfect and so is the engine. He had a leak in his tranny fluid lines so he even filled it up and DROVE IT OVER to my house. I didnt have to move a finger. I instaled a tranny fluid line and off I go roaring down the street.
The car's mag wheels are worth more than a hundred bucks themselves.

Also, the hold button is used for driving in slippery conditions so the tranny doesnt downshift to give you more torque that would only make it spin out of control. Especially for stop lights in slippery conditions so your wheels dont have the tendency to spin. It can also be used as an downhill assist so the tranny doesnt upshift and let the car speed up so it's not as hard on brakes.

Jim
92 Mazda Precidia MX-3
4-Cyl Automatic
Mags & Spoiler
josephpun

llll

Post by josephpun »

lllll
Last edited by josephpun on June 29th, 2007, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Transmissions”