Fuel Pump or Relay switch

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cfabs54

Fuel Pump or Relay switch

Post by cfabs54 »

My car died while driving, i was able to start it again and bring it home, next morning i made it to the end of the block and it dead again. Now it wont start. It's turning over. I dont smell any fuel nor do I hear the hum in the gas tank.
Are there any ways of figuring out if it is the fuel pump or relay switch without any diagnostic tools. Also all fuses seems to be in good working order under the hood and dash.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease Help!!!

Thank you!
Wally

here

Post by Wally »

i remember when mine went out of order it wouldnt hum or any thing . the way you discribe it is what mine was doing and it was the fuel pump. if it will start after about 30 min after you kill it ? let it ital and if it ius running after 10 min push gas and if it dies or weakens it is most likely your pump not relay
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Mine does that too, After turning it off and back on then trying to crack it for 5 mins then stopping and letting it sit for a minute it starts back up... its weiiird... :shock:
cfabs54

Post by cfabs54 »

thanks....one more thing...what is the screen for and should i replace that while i'm replacing the fuel pump.
Wally

re

Post by Wally »

yes you should replace it i also replaced my filter and the pump it works alot better ...

[edited because of rules violation]
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Use a test light to see if your getting power. You may need two people to do it though.
Do this..
Take out the pump.
see if its kicking on, if you have no test light.

If not, try replacing the relay, its bolted to the side of the ECU under the dash.
cfabs54

Post by cfabs54 »

I had problems with the cover, the screws were rusted. I had to drill through the screws and i have one more to get out. Once I get the pump out what do i do to see if its kicking on ???
cfabs54

Post by cfabs54 »

well after drilling out the screws, i got the new pump in n/p.....thanks for all your help....car won't start now or crank over....hearing a clicking from the starter though....not sure if the battery is at end-of-life or if it could be a starter problem..the battery was weak from trying to start it b4 replacing the pump...i got a boost and nothing....rechecking fuses, and cleaning contacts...if nothing will have battery tested.....any suggestions on the clicking starter...is it normal or does it mean something is gone?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Have someone give you a boost.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yea - sounds like a bad / flat battery is all. Enough power in it to throw in the solenoid but not turn the engine.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
cfabs54

Post by cfabs54 »

i bought a new battary and it's in ... but its' still not starting .... it almost sounds like it wants to start but nothing ....
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Is it cranking over now?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
cfabs54

Post by cfabs54 »

No its' not
cfabs54

Post by cfabs54 »

No its' not at all .... iim looking for information about the ECU and how to reset it .... if anyone has any pointers for me
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

If your battery was unplugged for more than 30 seconds.. its reset.

Does the starter turn over?
Does the fuel pump kick on?
Do you have fuel going to your fuel rails?
Is every plug firing?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”