tensioner out?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
goldsberry1

tensioner out?

Post by goldsberry1 »

i thnik my timeing belt tensioner is out. how loud is it when they do go out? mine sounds pretty bad. is it bad to drive on it? i only have to drive until the 15th or so (payday). are there any good places to get them cheaper the $145.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

It is probably the adjustment pulley bearing for your belts. There are 2 of them. 1 for each belt. I just changed mine this weekend.

I was able to get the bearings from a local auto parts store for $6 each.

Makes a huge difference.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Try taking the accesory belts off and run the car for a minute to see if that makes the noise go away. Should only take a few minutes to disengage the belts to try it. If so, as said, it's only $5 or $6 a bearing for each tensioner.

Otherwise, then the tensioner is $145 at a minimum for the Mazda brand part if you buy it online. At the dealership, they're over $200. If it's the tensioner, it'll make your engine sound alot like an old diesel engine.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”