Which Oil?

A place for the MX-3 Community in Europe to gather.
mattashton

Which Oil?

Post by mattashton »

I have a standard V6 with 97000 miles and its time for an oil change. Which brand of oil would be best to use? It isnt using much oil or anything, but its about time it has some lovely fresh oil to keep it happy :)
I rock.... so you dont have to!
fry_81

Re: Which Oil?

Post by fry_81 »

switch to a higher milage engine oil, i use castrol synthetic higher milage oil, not cheap but if it works like it says it does, its worth it.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Id use 10W30 castrol synthec
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Lord_Matt:
I have a standard V6 with 97000 miles and its time for an oil change. Which brand of oil would be best to use? It isnt using much oil or anything, but its about time it has some lovely fresh oil to keep it happy :)
My .02... use 10W30 100% synthetic & whatever brand you find the best price on.

IMO the "oils for higher mileage engines" pitch is more marketing hype than substance. It's kinda like Visine now advertising 4 kinds of eye drops depending on what is making your eyes red but that's just my opinion. A decently maintained 100K engine that has had regular oil changes throughout its life will have internals in great shape compared to a poorly maintained 100K engine. You engine isn't using much oil, assuming the maintenance has been good, why suddenly treat it like it's high mileage?

My current cars have 122K, 130K, & 140K miles on em. I'm the 2nd or 3rd owner of each and all had ~100K when purchased but appeared to have been well maintained engines & burn almost no oil between changes. Since purchased, they've been very happy motors with regular changes of 10W30 synth oil whether Castrol, Mobil 1, Quaker State etc. :shrug:
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

I've bought Mobil1 0W-40W 100% synthetic for my MX3. Is this a good buy? (Norway = way up north)

<small>[ August 22, 2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: verzutiko ]</small>
'92 GS
My worklog
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I wouldnt touch 0w40, I`m sticking to 10w40 full syntethic. I`ve used 5w40 and it was just too thin.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

10w40 is too thick for lil mazda engine thats what I use in my 440 dodge charger for "hot" engine with high compression
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mattashton

Post by mattashton »

Thanks for your help guys!.... I have had the oil and filter changed now and the V6 is now happy again.
I decided to ignore all the advice you had to give me and used olive oil. But dont worry, im sure it will be fine as i ensured it was extra virgin olive oil, made from the finest olives! I also replaced the air filter with basil & oregano as the engine love those herbs.

Seriouly thanks for the help! :)
I rock.... so you dont have to!

Return to “European MX-3 Community”