Ebay Glow Gauges

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Night MX-3

Ebay Glow Gauges

Post by Night MX-3 »

im just wandering....because i know lots of people have got these off of ebay....are these actually for the mx-3?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43952&item=2480161245&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

because i noticed that the fuel and temp. gauge is on the right and not on the left...will they actually come in like this or will the fuel and temp. be on the left?
94 Honda Prelude SI
95 Mazda Mx-3 I4 auto (b0rked)

http://www.riderevolution.com
papa roached

Re: Ebay Glow Gauges

Post by papa roached »

they are 3 seperate pieces, they just put them int he wrong order, they are for the MX
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I bought mine off ebay, and I've had no problems with them. Fit like a glove, too.
No more MX-3.
Night MX-3

Post by Night MX-3 »

Cool..thanks alot guys :cool:
94 Honda Prelude SI
95 Mazda Mx-3 I4 auto (b0rked)

http://www.riderevolution.com
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Same here, no problems whatsoever. Then again, they've been sitting in my room for over a year now... :shrug:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

hey what type of work is needed as far as the install goes for the gauges. is there a switch to turn them on, separate and not connected to the head light switch? Also, if this is true, what happens when you turn on your head lights and the glow gauges?? Any info would be great p.s. where is a good place to purchase these
jplar

Post by jplar »

I've had mine in there for over two years now. No problems to date.
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

The instructions are fairly good, there is no switch you just splice into the power wires red + black - to the red an black wires on the factory dimmer switch ,there is also a dial that can chang color an dim the faces prewired into the unit. The light from the dash guages helps with the briteness.

Eugene L
1.6DOHC
N.S.canada
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

also
The only tricky part I found was getting the indicator needles for temp an fuel threw the holes. If i remember correctly I put the both needles at 7:oo oclock an rotated the face on this has to be done because the trip reset post holds the face. I was afraid of moving the needles apast thier range points I rotated the fuel needle apast E to the 7 oclock spot put the needles threw the holes an rotated the fuel needle back to its reg spot, one more thing make sure your hands are clean, one of my faces had a couple of small spots where it had sticky spots like when you remove a sticker an the dash dust on my hands went right to it. I couldnt get it off wiping with water an clean cloth, I was starting to get a little freaked until I used a little spray-9 an a qtip. just take your time the end result is wicked!

Eugene L
1.6DOHC
N.S.canada
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

hey about the switch that changes the color of the gauges, is this the background color, or what? and also, where is this switch located? Lastly, are these the same gauges=>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=43952 give me some feedback!
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

I think the switch gets located wherever you put it. If it was mine, I'd mount it on one of the 'dummy plates' that you always seem to have one or two of (covering locations for switches for options that you didn't get on your car).. I've seen other folks mount a bracket on the underside of the 'dash' down by the steering wheel/hood-release etc.

You should be sure to ask that particular seller if a switch is included because while I saw him list wire, I didn't see him list a switch.
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

as far as the lighting goes, I dont want power wasted by any extra bulbs that arent needed behind the new gauges, can I take those out that are used to illuminate the oem ones, or should I leave those in, and what will happen when I turn the original dimmer knob?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I removed my bulbs completely when I put my gauges in...bad move. You can't see the odometer or trip odometer at all at night if you take the backlighting out.

What I did was reinstalled some of the bulbs with red covers over them instead of the stock green ones. There are two bulbs that illum the two odometers, and there is very little bleed-through of the red light in gauge rings. You can't see the light bleeding through the indiglo's at all which surprised me.

Looks pretty good. I wish I could post a pic but it didn't turn out good, stupid digicams need more light than the indiglos put out.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

I am ready to do the install tommorow, and had a couple last questions: 1. I am thinking about removing the oem dimmer switch and replacing it with the one that came with the kit. Is this a good idea and if so should I leave the wires and just cut the dimmer switch off(oem)?. 2. What type of connection should I use to join the wires in the cluster(the new ones to the oem pieces) i.e. krimps or sauter? Thanks guys and any last minute tips would be great!
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Remember that that OEM dimmer is controlling ALL the night lighting inside the car other than the dome/map lights.. that includes the stuff illuminating your odometer, and also heater controls, and perhaps even your radio...

Before removing it, get into the car when it's dark out, turn on the ignition, and play with the dimmer.. notice what all it's affecting.. then consider if you want those things to be at full brightness all the time. :) If the answer is yes, then sure go ahead and bypass/remove the dimmer and run all those lights at full brightness.

I prefer crimp, mostly because I have a bunch of them and a crimp tool. but also because they are easier to do, and pre-insulated. Messing with soldering stuff inside a car is a PITA.. so's having to tape or shrink-tube the connections..

<small>[ August 07, 2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Tempus ]</small>
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”