Interior Neons - How to??

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
race_me_baby

Interior Neons - How to??

Post by race_me_baby »

Hey guys. Does anyone know a how to thing on installation of these? or even a website? I bought a 150 mm dual neon rod kit for under the dash in my car but don't want to pay all the extra $$ to get them pro-installed. I heard it's super easy but i have no real experience. How do I know which wires to attach the neons to under the dash once I cut off the adaptor? aren't there a bunch of wires under there? i don't want to cut off power to something...

<small>[ April 29, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: race_me_baby ]</small>
My 1993 Precidia MX-3 GS in the works. Wicked New Paint Job, New 10" subs
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/589196
FlyingMXer

Re: Interior Neons - How to??

Post by FlyingMXer »

Later, D
92 4-banger (totaled unfortunately. Current ride is 2001 Mustang GT)
LooseChangeRacing

Re: Interior Neons - How to??

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

Ok well, haha, that didn't really anwser your question, (the previous topic) so here we go.

The joy of neons.
Basicly, the adapter that fits into your cigerette lighter holds two wires. On most neons (walmart) and such, they look almost exactly the same. But there is always a difference.

Make sure to seperate them a bit, maybe 3 inches then strip them so that you can see the wire.

On the plastic coating of the wire, you'll see a subtle difference. I've noticed these differences.

The power wire has a blue or white line down the side of the plastic coating.
The ground wire is brown, while the power wire is gray (the actual wire not the plastic)

If you still can't figure out which is the power and ground let me know.

You will definitly want to hook the neon up to a fuse somehow, becuase theres no point in buying an inline fuse.

BUY A SWITCH!, any kind of switch, if you want a bit more work, by a switch that as a small LED and lights up the switch (I don't really like these as usually the LED is so small it doesn't even light up the switch enough to get the desired effect) ANYWAY

Where to put the switch.

The plastic piece alittle to the right and above your fuse panel. Perfect, you can reach your hand right around and feel that your not hitting anything.

Anywhere from the radio the whole way back to the center console.

How to hook wires up to a switch.

The real way, would be sodering, but you don't need to do that.

A SWITCH
POWER - The wire coming from this prong will be connected directly to a 12volt power source.
ACC - This wire coming from this prong will be the neons power wire.
A LIGHTED SWITCH
POWER - Same as Above
ACC - Save as Above
GROUND - You do not have to connect anything to this wire, if you don't, the switch will not light up, thats all. If you decide to, this wire must be grounded, prefreably in the same place as the neon is grounded.

Where to power the neon from.

Here are a two good places.

Fuse Panel
I suggest the radio fuse as, hey if that blows, it's only turning off your radio, not your headlights.

Hooking a wire up to a fuse is basicly simple. Strip about 3 inches of wire then wrap it around one side of the fuse only (the metal prong) Don't wrap it around both or let it touch both sides, becuase then basicly your bypassing the fuse and it would just be bad. Then just stick the fuse right back into it's slot. The radio fuse is the bottom right fuse if I'm not mistaken.

Dimmer Wire

If you have an aftermarket stereo, you will have a dimmer wire, basicly a free wire hanging around back there, that doesn't get used in AM applications. This is a great choice to power neons off of, except for the fact of, it
s only 10 volts, and if you decide to use your dimmer, your neons will not work correctly.

Where to ground the wires to.

Depending on where you put the switch you might want to ground to a few different places.

If you put the switch near the fuse panel, find something right up there thats metal, and ground it to that. (If you need to test go ahead, nothing bad will happen if you don't ground a neon, basicly hook up everything except the ground, then touch it to bolts to find out which one makes the neon work, and ground it to that.

If you put the switch in the center console, you have basicly two options. One the more legal safe way, one the more choosen way.

You can A, hook the ground wire(s) up to the spring that the EBRAKE emergency light is hooked up to. It's a white piece with a spring right to the DS side of the ebrake handle (this is with the console removed) The safe way of doing it this way is that, the neon light will only work if the ebrake handle is up to a certain hieght, high enough for the ebrake light to come on.

You can B, hook the ground wire(s) up to the side of the ebrake, theres a small screw on the back end of the ebrake Passenger side. Thats where my 4 under seat neons are hooked up to.

If you have any more questions, or would like a few pictures of how things look installed or being installed, just let me know.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”