Headlight swap

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Holte999

Headlight swap

Post by Holte999 »

I have to puchase a used headlight as mine was broken. I cost £150. I now discover that it is exreemly hard to put in. Any tips out there, Do I have to remove vthe front bumper. HELP PLEASE.
nope-mx3

Re: Headlight swap

Post by nope-mx3 »

This is one of the easiest things to do.

Just unplug the wires to the headlight.
And its like 4 screws I think and everything comes right out.

Think It took me 30 seconds or something :)

You probably haven`t found all the screws yet.
(oh, and it is the headlight you are talking about?)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Taras

Post by Taras »

There is a hidden bolt behind the turn signal assemblies. I find that with E-spec fog lights it is hard to reach. I just take the bumper off. Does not take too long.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Meep

Post by Meep »

Yeah its pretty simple. Just unplug the lights and undo the clips to pull it out. You don't have to take off the bumper but if you feel more comfortable that way, then go for it. I've done it a couple times to polish my headlights.
UKMXV6

Post by UKMXV6 »

I'm with Holte999, i was doing some work on me car this weekend and wanted to get the head light out and it was a #*!!@$ of a job, where is the 4th bolt? I got the 3 out and then half the front bumper and just gave up, (well managed to sort it out without removing the light in the end) but where is this magic bolt????

Cheers

P
Taras

Post by Taras »

Well, take off your bumper and you will see it. But then you can just get the turn signal assembly out, use a flashlight and find it this way. To get the bumper off, you need to pull two plastic clips underneath the bottom two corners of the bumper at the end of the wheel wells. Unscrew a screw at each top corner of the bumper cover. Then you got three bolts at each point where re-bar attaches. One of them is accessed in front of the radiator from the top. The other two at each side, you need to stick your head under the bumper and you will see them, as you will see the fourth bolt for each of the headlights. Good luck.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”