Dome light/open door problems

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
jeffc

Dome light/open door problems

Post by jeffc »

Hey folks. Ive got a problem with my dome light not coming on when my door opens. The light itself works fine when you manually turn it on via the buttons in the roof...but it doesnt seem to detect when either of the doors open. I removed the switch on the bottom of the door frame and cleaned it up and its making a good connection there. What else should i look for?? also the LED near the ignition keyhole doesnt light, i suspect its related to the door light. Anyone have any insight on this one?? Its not that big of an issue i know...but my remote starter is connected to the dome light....and it doesnt work if the light doesnt switch on and off with the door. Thanks for any info
millionflame

Re: Dome light/open door problems

Post by millionflame »

I have the same problem that occurs every now and then.

The door pins frequently get dirty and don't make a good connection because of where they're situated.

If you have cleaned them up and made sure they work properly, then there's a break in the circuit somewhere between the door pin and the bulb.
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

Mine is the same. I went to Mazda and got the pins replaced and they still didn't work, so I checked for a break in the line but I found out that the problem was actually the circuit im the cars computer corroded from the moisture and ended up shorting the circuit and destroyed that circuit. They said that the only way to fix it was to replace the computer. I said that I could live without it and I am going to make my own fused circuit for it to save some money.

Hopefully this is not your problem and it is something simple for you. Good luck.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

try this

Open your door, if the domelight isn't coming on push the button on the doorjambs and release it so it "snaps" out. Does the domelight come on?

Keep on doing that like 4-5 times and if it still doesn't do it, yo uknow that switch is OK (but it is usually teh culprit...crap gets caught in there and keeps it from coming all the way out, triggering the domelight).

Anyways, if that isn't the problem, check the plugs and wiring for that switch, the domelight itself. If that isn't it...i dunno hwat the problem is? blow fuse or maybe a short in teh wiring?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Becker

Post by Becker »

I'm in the same boat, my dome light will come on sometimes ususally for about 2 weeks after i run it through a car wash. If i grab the little knob and twist it or pull it it will work, but its just drit as far as i can tell. :shrug:
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

Mine stopped working for a while, all I did was twist it and hey presto it started working again. Iv not had a problem since.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”