Amatur Electrical Question

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
advantiracing

Amatur Electrical Question

Post by advantiracing »

Hey, im real stupid with electrical wiring. The problem i have is installing aftermarket hid fog lights. - Where do i connect to black (ground) to, and the red (power) , positve or negative side of the battery?

..... i know, im a dumbass

thanks
K8- MP5 kit Midnight Black -

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/560405
Tyler17rose

Re: Amatur Electrical Question

Post by Tyler17rose »

Attatch the ground to the negative terminal and the power to the positive terminal. You could even just attatch the ground to any part of the frame of the car.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
Taras

Post by Taras »

Well, if you attach the positive directly to your battery, you will have them "ON" all the time, even when you shut down your car. You need to buld a proper wiring harness running through a relay and switch and fused, using at least 14ga automotive wires. I have posted links before for the wiring harnesses diagrams.

Did you say, fog lights HID? Never heard of such. Mind letting us know where you got them and what componenets they use.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

Pilot makes some HID Fog Lights , well they call them HID ive never seen them so Im not sure, they also make some HID Driving Lights. Again I've never actually seen any of these things so I dont know if their claims are true or not.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by johnnyb:
Pilot makes some HID Fog Lights , well they call them HID ive never seen them so Im not sure, they also make some HID Driving Lights. Again I've never actually seen any of these things so I dont know if their claims are true or not.
Just taking a quick glance at those, I'd recomend people not to buy those, ever.

They're most likely some sort of HID, since I can see the D2R bulb in there, and there's some sort of "ballast."

However, that ballast looks like one of those asian failures, as genuine Hella ballasts are much thinner and have the proper labels on them too.
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Taras

Post by Taras »

Those are HID alright. Too bad they do not give description of what component they use. The ballast could be Hella/Philips, at least size-wise. It looks upside down in the picture. There is a serious design flaw with these lights however. There is no weather cover for the HV red plug. Any water and your ballast is toast. And who needs HID fog lights anyway. What, you need to see fog better?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”