what is it about our cars................

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MarkMoore

what is it about our cars................

Post by MarkMoore »

man i love the mx-3! what is it about our cars that so perfectly retains the look of newness? i mean, when our cars are kept up in good shape and modded a little bit (namely the wheels),they look like the could belong in a 2005 showroom floor. take a look at other cars from '92...they look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old, i can even picture abe lincoln cruisin' around in 'em...but ours, now that's a different story. i'm 19, and it's nuts to think that my car was being assembled and put out when i was 6 YEARS OLD!!!!! and it was being dreamed up even before that!!! i guess it just has the ageless quality to it... but i wonder what the impression of the car was when it first came out... did it look futuristic or just normal like any other '92 car? can some one put their finger on it, why our car is an ageless wonder?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
VampireSix

Re: what is it about our cars................

Post by VampireSix »

bump on that... but makes me wonder why they sold so few of them...?
-Vampire Six
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

The car was waaay before its time. I love these cars as well, I bought my 95 back in 1998 and have since had 3. The funny thing is my fiace' tells me I'd marry my car if I could, lol.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

One reason they didn't sell too many in Australia is that Mazda brought them out under the new brand name of Eunos. Eunos only ever brought out 3 models with the 30X being the equvalent to the MX3. It was promoted as a luxury car and this was reflected in the price.

Mazda went to great pains to distance itself from the Eunos name, even opening dealerships with no reference to Mazda at all. (Mazda itself wasn't very popular out here then anyway.)

The Eunos experiment was a failure in Australia, naturally nobody had heard of them and people were reluctant to try them. The last 30X model was actually branded Mazda Eunos 30X but by then it was too late.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by VampireSix:
bump on that... but makes me wonder why they sold so few of them...?
Bet you if they would have started out with the options of the DOHC 4 cyl with 110 HP, then offered a 2.5L KLDE as the upgrade, they would have sold by hotcakes.

I personally have wanted one ever since 1993. My friend was driving his brand new 93 Camaro Z28 with me in it. He had just picked me up from college at Central Michigan, and he usually drove at crazy speeds all the way back to Chicago from there because the drive was so boring. Anyways, he was cruising along at 120 MPH thinking he was flying, when a purple MX3 passed right by him on the freeway. He freaking flipped out that a little purple car passed his new 'bad *** ' Camaro. Ever since then, I've wanted one ...... just not in purple. :D :p
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

looking at the Mazda lineup from the beginning of the 1990's you can really tell mazda had a great design thing going. from the 121 to 626 to MX-3,6 and RX-7. they were way ahead of their time. Then in the late 90's they went downhill. its Kind of wierd to see old models looking more modern than the newer ones but it seems they learned from their mistakes :)
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by SIXPACK:
looking at the Mazda lineup from the beginning of the 1990's you can really tell mazda had a great design thing going. from the 121 to 626 to MX-3,6 and RX-7. they were way ahead of their time. Then in the late 90's they went downhill. its Kind of wierd to see old models looking more modern than the newer ones but it seems they learned from their mistakes :)
Scan it for us :)
I agree, our MX3s were great. I mean, you look at those Eclipses, Mustangs, Integras, Civics, Camaros and alot of other cars that were made before the year 1995 and they wouldnt even look as good as ours.
Mazda should of atleast tried to come up with some new design for the MX3 by 1995 because by that time Eclipses, Mustangs and alot of other cars were looking pretty great because of there newer designs.

I seriously dont know why not many people wanted MX3s. Maybe because they thought Mazda's were unrealiable?

<small>[ November 03, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Juan's MX3 ]</small>
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

when someone tells me to sell mine i tell them to go screw themselves im keeping it forever
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

I thought poor sales were due to bad marketing and ridiculous high price. However, this seems like Aussie's story, so maybe I have it backwards--not sure. We are referring to US sales, correct?

Maybe you can e-mail SPEEDtv and ask them to do a special. :roll:

Post by Guest »

Our cars do have that "X" factor to them, don't they?

One of the best designs for a small sports coupe inside and outside ever made........ :driver: HANDS DOWN :driver: .
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

I'll pit my Geo Storm GSi agains the MX-3 ANYTIME!
Just look at the reviews of them. side by side

AT THE MX-3 SITE...http://www.mx-3.com/reviews/hmm-review.cfm

GSi, Nissan NX2000, Paseo, and MX-3
By Home Mechanix Magazine, April 1992

Controls And Comfort
Front headroom is adequate in all these coupes, provided you aren't much over 6ft. tall. Inside informable gauges and supportive seats help seperate these sporty cars from more basic transport. Only the Geo Storm GSi includes oil-pressure and voltmeter, however. The Storm also comes with a driver side air bag. We liked the Storms precise climate controls and spacious glove box. Less impressive was its non adjustable steering wheel and nonremovable head restraints. The Mazda MX-3 and the Geo Storm are the roomiest in back, as the numbers for interior volume suggest. We found the Geo's rear bench tops in comfort; The gently contoured seat gave just enough side support without being confining.

On The Road

We rate the Geo Storm GSi, Nissan NX2000, and Mazda MX-3 first, second and third in the handling department. On the track, we got all three of the nose-heavy cars to hang their tails out just enough for fast, balanced cornering by trailing off the gas and braking smoothly before turns. The Geo responded quickest of these cars. It also has the fastest steering at just two and a half turns, compared to two and three-quarters turns for the other cars.

Power To Go And Stop
All of these sports coupes come with twin-camshaft, multivalve engines that rev high and respond readily to the throttle. At 140 hp, the Geo Storm GSi and Nissan NX2000 engines are the most potent; the Nissan's redline is way up there at 8,000 rpm. All four of these coupes made safe, sure stops.

Which One Is For You
Though entry-level versions of the Geo, Mazda and Nissan come with less-powerful engines, even those cars are willing performers.

For all out fun we recommend the Geo Storm GSi's combination of sheer horsepower and sports-car handling.

AND THE BEST THING IS I HAVE ONE OF BOTH, IE ONE GSi AND ONE MX-3
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

It's simple why it didn't sell.

The exterior design isn't for everyone....i agree. THe headlights are hideous and the worst feature of the car. The cars were priced higher than most competitors state-side and had a huge lack of power.

the 1.6 sohc??? Good fuel econ, but slow as ballz. They should've offered the DOHC from the start or even the BP as a standard engine, then it would've been competitive with the NX2000 & eclipse.

Also, the 1.8 v6? crap fuel economy, not all htat powerful....a stupid engine choice. They should've at least put a KF in it or just gone with the KL but ford wouldn't allow it since it would've kicked their probe's azz and taken their sales from them.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

grrrrr... ban Myardor for blashphemy and heresy!!! :mad: :mad:
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Does anybody know what the base prise was back in 92?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

wasnt it like $18K in canada? duno the transfer rate, but that does sound kinda pricey. but hey my last car was a geo storm, and they WERE fun and all.. but ugly as sin, and got even worse gas mileage. i didnt have the GSi but it still did seem kinda fast.. until i got my V6 MX3.. and then got a KLZE for it. :D now i just duno why someone would get a geo storm hahaha

(the nissan nx2000 on the other hand is swappable with SR20's so that would be a cool car, but personally i like the mx3 look way more)
92 Autozam AZ3

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”