what should i look for?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mc2

what should i look for?

Post by mc2 »

I found a 94 mx-3 for 1800. it seems to be in good shape, i am going to take a look at it tomorrow.

The price seems really good for the car am i correct? I've checked other prices and the KBB price and it seems pretty low.

From what i understand it has to be a RS because the GS models were discontinued in 94 in the US correct?

I was just wondering what i should have an eye out for. The owner said he bought the car from someone else for his son a couple months ago but his son joined the army so he's selling it now. he has no records or anythign and didtn ask them from the previous owner.

Could you guys tell me the most common problems at 115k miles? i assume things like the timing belt would never have lasted this long correct?

Would the alternator have lasted until now?

What about the suspension components? how and what should i check? does the car have cv boots? how can i check them?
What else should i look for that are common problems in these cars? Thanks a lot.

<small>[ October 30, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: mc2 ]</small>
lakersfan1

Re: what should i look for?

Post by lakersfan1 »

I believe there were still US spec GS in 94, just not 95. Always possible also that someone moved from Canada with it though since they got the GS for much longer.
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

Easy to tell if its a GS or RS.
open up the hood and count the spark plugs. GS has 6, RS has 4
also look at the rear wheels.. GS has rotors, RS has drum

Be careful. he, the dad, might have found some bad things on the car and wants to get rid of it. hey, i am always careful when i buy a new ride. one can never be too careful when buying a car. esp a used one

check out the car before testdriving it
is the rubber on the pedals, ie clutch, gas, break, worn out much or look new?
if it has power windows , do the switches work right. esp the drivers side.

open the hood.. how does the engine look, clean and shiny or dirty ?
pull out the oil dipstick, how does the oil look, put some oil between ur fingers , is it oily. or does it feel gritty?
does the oil look dirty or just old?

so many things one can check for on a car.
headlites, are they clear or yellow, cracked?
do the doors squeak when u open and close them?

Test out the car by testdriving it.
does it shilf ok?
how does it run

is the AC putting out cold air, ya even in the winter u have to check this out.
when driving on a straight road, let go of the steering wheel, does the car pull to either side or does it go straight ..for a few yards..not miles..!
yes the price sounds good but check it out carefully.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Also if its a GS it will probably say V6 on the back.
If it is a automatic, dont even think of buying it. Those automatics give alot of problems including the tranny breaking down itself.
If its a manual than thats good news.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
VampireSix

Post by VampireSix »

my '94 RS has 113k miles on it, and I'm having only minor problems with it... of course, the previous owner babied it. I just had to replace the belts, which was $150, and they told me the timing belt should have been replaced at 100k according to the recommended maintainence. the place said that oil and stuff was leaking out of where the belt was, so it needed to be fixed soon (almost $1,000 US for parts and 6 hours of labor).. if it broke, the engine would be destroyed. Also, check the condition of the seems on the back seats, make sure the rear hatch goes up and stays, check all the lights to make sure they work (brake lights, too)... and look at the rubber seal around the windows. My driver side window seal was bad, which prevented the window from going up as it should have ($285 fix at dealer).

This is all of the stuff that I've recently had to worry about.

Oh! Myardor suggested checking the AC.. check the heat, too! A malfunctioning heater is an early sign of serious engine problems!
-Vampire Six

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”