New car bad tranny???

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Chrisimpulsers

New car bad tranny???

Post by Chrisimpulsers »

I bought a 92 mx3 sohc 1.6 auto. I bought it non running , it starts but when i put it in gear nothing really happens. The idleing changes slightyly but not really that noticeable. I checked the flui and it saturates well over the full level so its got fluid , its red smells burnt but i dont know how burnt as i don't usually have autos and haven't much experience with them. What would cause these kinda problems , also i unhooked the tranny lines from the radiator to see if there was pressure in the lines , doesn't seem like it has any , is that bad? Are there any things i can do to try to diagnose the problem , change the tranny filter redrain the fluid ? Any help would be much appreciated . Does anyone have any working trannies for sale if i need one?
Thanks guys
hondah8er13

Re: New car bad tranny???

Post by hondah8er13 »

Hey i have the same car exactly, and i had the same problem exactly..... when i first bought my car it would not run then when i got it running i had the same problem with the tranny, anyway i did a fluid and filter change and bam! works great.. i think the filter must have been clogged or something... anyway if you plan to do the change yourself let me know i can walk you through it if you don't know how... it is really easy but there is a cross member in the way that you will have to remove...also i added a bottle of slick 50 auto transmission treatment. :froggie_red:
Zoom-Zoom
Andrew_Pakula

Re: New car bad tranny???

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

You can try changing the tranny fluid to see if that fixes anything but i doubt it.

If it is already smelling burnt and won't shift into gear then the tranny is probably too damaged.

Return to “Transmissions”