can i make my shifter shorter

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
aznsoldier

can i make my shifter shorter

Post by aznsoldier »

I currently have and auto, is there any way i can make the shifter shorter, it gets in the way of my indash screen
-GTA
Sonicxtacy02

Re: can i make my shifter shorter

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

take the shift knob off with the screws, but be careful not to snap the HOLD wire too high into the knob, otherwise you wont be able to hook it back up. You can safely cut about 3 inches off of the shaft, dont go any more of you wont be able to reconnect the knob and shift into every gear
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
marshmallow15

Re: can i make my shifter shorter

Post by marshmallow15 »

yes its possible. you'll have to cut through the hold button connections, so be sure to connect it again. it takes a LOT of muscle to get through the shifter. the metal is about 1/4 inch thick and took me about 15 minutes of cutting.. and i consider myself pretty strong. a sawzall and the capacity to be able to keep it still while using should do the trick pretty quick.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Return to “Transmissions”