Post by Kamikid »

Should I be worried?
Nd4SpdSe

Re: About to buy a mx-3 that has 300K

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

4cyl or v6?
auto or manual?
Hows it's physical condition?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Kamikid

Post by Kamikid »

It's a 4cl manual. The body is in excellent shape as well as the motor. We lifted up the back where the spare is and it was as brand new.
chippedpaint

Post by chippedpaint »

i would say dont buy it UNLESS you're getting an amazing deal or you know the parts have been replaced religiously and they took care of the car...i'd have a mechanic check it out if you're planning on having it as you're only car...300k is a LOT of miles and parts dont just stay in good shape after that much
sold my civic for my mx-3 and its the smartest thing i've ever done
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

of course you should be worried. most parts are worn out. most of the parts you can not see, ie rubber, gaskets, etc. it is not only the engine that wears out but most parts just get old. 300 000 miles is a long long time. i never had a car that lasted that long and i have had many cars, im 56years old.
but guess your emontional about it..be prepared to sink monies on all the parts that will start going bad.
good luck
i would buy a 94 and up
manual, do not touch the automatics. you will not be happy with them.
get a GS if possible, better over all car.
do not touch any car under 1994..too old even thou they look "good"
good luck
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

He is from Canada so I dont think it will be 300,000 miles , its 300,000 Kilometers... which is only Approx 185,000 Miles
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

wow, you're 56? You must be the oldest person on mx-3.com. I wonder who is the youngest and oldest mx'er that visits here?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

Ya, i am 56 but feel young. Well i do/ say things young ppl say, ie dumb things. Keep putting my foot in my mouth. Sometimes forget things and bash other ppl rides. Somehow i just did not grow up. Maybe I am just regressing

The Decal on my front windshield says STILL CRAZY

Have a 93 Geo Storm GSi and 95 MX-3 RS Do not want any luxury car, ie Lexus, Benz, etc.

Not sure if my next car will be a RX-8 or a MX-3 GS.
But the GS has to be a 95/96. I want it with a manual transmission and not the automatic.and those are only from Canada. I live in the South, ie Texas, so it will be harder to get a GS.

So it would cost me more monies just to go and pick it up. I would not have it shipped. i love driving and it would make a nice drive.

I just took a 4 day trip to Corpus Christi, ie 200 mile one way. Since i work on the net, i can take off anytime i want.

Also looked at the Dodge Stratus, Hundai Tiburon , etc.

i have been to Michigan, ie Shelby and the surrounding area.

i do read the AutoTrader from Ca, on the net, and find the prices are a bit over what i think they are worth / i would like to pay. But most are from dealers.

i have made a practice of never buying from a dealer. Last one i bought from a dealer was my 360cc Honda.

<small>[ October 05, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Myardor ]</small>
Kamikid

Post by Kamikid »

Sorry I meant to specify kilometeres. So is it stil a good deal?. I need to know soon, because I don't have that much time to decide. I've noted the points against rubber wearing out though.

[EDIT]Yeah, and it's a 1992...

<small>[ October 05, 2004, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Kamikid ]</small>
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

sometimes we forget ..that both km and miles are used by posters.

in the old days, ie i am 56 so when i was knee high to a grasshopper, we got rid of cars that were approaching 100 000 miles. nowdays most cars go over that. i wonder why the big difference?

the wear where the spare tire goes will always be min. ie no wear. check on the pedals, ie brake, gas, clutch. the handle on the stick shift, the wear on the steering wheel.
those are what wears down.
look at the engine compartment. how does it look?
pay attention to the windshield water reservor, the plastic bottle. make sure its not cracked.
same goes for the radiator water reservor.

look at the small thin plastic that goes around the windows, doors, back windshield etc. those wear out and cost plenty to repair.

also the engine/transmission/ etc parts depend on how much care the owner took. some ppl just ride it, others just wash and wax it..looks pretty
and then there are those of us that baby our baby. changing oil, parts, etc.

Its your call but if it does not cost much go for it. ie 92s go for about 1500 usa here in houston. They are not in the best of shape. but its a ride, wheels to get around.

if you are thinking of restoring it, well that always will cost more than one plans on spending.

Take an older person, well one that knows cars, is not biased and let him/her give you an honest opinion. some ppl just tell you what you want to hear.

if that person tells you its in decent condition and the price is right then go ahead and buy it.

i would not buy anycar under 1995 but to each his own. sometimes one just buys what one falls for or can afford.

<small>[ October 05, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Myardor ]</small>
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Also remember in 92 the 4cyl version is only SOHC, so only 88hp. 93+ had DOHC, ~100 HP, much better
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I'd say don't buy it. Your looking at a 92 4cl with 180.000 miles on it. That's the oldest, slowest Mx with a ton of miles that you can get. Wait, and look for the GS(V6) and you won't regret it.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Originally posted by Franko:
wow, you're 56? You must be the oldest person on mx-3.com. I wonder who is the youngest and oldest mx'er that visits here?
I'll take the youngest lol...Sadly I have a car before I can really drive it. :roll:

And, how do miles effect the wear of weather seals? Does a car with 300k really have "older" non-mechanical parts (excluding interior, thats obvious) than one with 100k but the same year?

And if someone really wants me to, I can prove that a car with 300,000 miles can have a "younger" drivetrain then one with 150,000 miles; assuming all matenience is exactly the same.

BTW: I'm not advocatiing you buy the car...I would have to meet the owner, and know how many former owners the car has had before judging it's worth. Bottom line:If you are unsure, look for another.

<small>[ October 05, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

my gs is about to hit 200 k ,miles and i got it for 1000 dlls..what a deal altough paint cracked and a few minor details..by the way i didnt quite catch how much he wants for the mx3...buy it!!!!! drive it around..remove spark plus, that usually trells engine condition.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Post by Guest »

I bought mine....a 93 model RS... WITH A BUSTED AUTO TRANSMISSION... for $1600 cash, with 134,000 miles on it. The body was well taken care of, the engine is almost as quite as my mom's 01 Acura TL and the blaze red exterior plus the interior is in close to pristine condition for a car almost 12 years old.
All I'm saying is, that, if you really feel in your heart that this 92 model is worth it...... then go for it. But do remember this...... unlike your average Honda and Toyota cars... where you don't have to do much to them to keep them running great......... you will need to take care of your MX3 like a little baby with needs.... and in the long run.... your car will appreaciate it by always being relaible because of it.

I do hope you buy it.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”