pacesetter yellow tip help!/cat question

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
justintoxicated

pacesetter yellow tip help!/cat question

Post by justintoxicated »

hey guys, i just recieved in the mail the pacesetter cat back system, paid 190 with shipping, when it came i was kinda pissed to find out the inside is painted yellow...wtf? i thought it would be all chrome...anyway, 2 questions, does anyone have any suggestions/tips about possibly removing paint, or painting over the yellow with like black or white, before i install it? and also does anyone know if i can put a new tip on in the future...(i want a nice slant cut tip) the tip on it is welded on, so i guess i would have to cut it...any help?

also my buddy who is helping me put in on, wants to gut out the cat while my exhaust is off, and is pretty adament about it, he thinks i will see a lot more performance doing this, i am a bit aprehensive about this, however because i would like the car to pass inspection in 2 years, and it is illegal, and bad for the environment, but he said it still would pass emissions without the internals of the cat as long as the engine is running right...is this true? has anyone else done this? did you pass inspection?

im putting the cat back system on tomorrow with my friend who is a mechanic, so please write back asap. thanks for your time
Got Rice? You do!
mdavis

Re: pacesetter yellow tip help!/cat question

Post by mdavis »

Hey. I just cleaned it, masked it off, and used black rotor paint to cover up the yellow... looks a lot better now.. If you want it to be all chrome buy one of the 4" non-resonated tips fom Pacesetter.. But they won't have the awesome sound of the resonated ones..

Also, I'd be interested to know what kind of gains people get using test pipes (those are the pipe that bypass the cats, correct?)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
justintoxicated

Post by justintoxicated »

did you use spray paint or paint it on with a brush? so how does the pacesetter sound? i hope its not too loud, i got a rice cannon on it now that is loud as hell, the guy i bought it off of put it on there...also any other ideas about the cat being gutted out? please help.
Got Rice? You do!
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i highly doubt it would pass emissions without a cat. i could be wrong though?
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

really really small for me but then again i have the 88hp sohc, it got louder but then again i have a 2.5 inch catback into a straight thru muffler, so i dunno give it a try and if nothing you have 2 years to get another one :)
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

With out the cat on you may get ONE extra horse power, but probley not even that. Leave your cat on!!!
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

You could just take the test pipes off every two years for emissions... :p
GS-R SE
Fixin's
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

i totally agree with mdavis, i love my pacesetter to death, its diff cuz its not ricey at all just deep low rumble, i didnt have to paint my exhaust tip it just took a while and it sorta just goes a lil black , maybe im running a lil rich :shrug: , but the yellow is gone, i recently bought one of those testpipes off ebay and plan to install it this week , it wont be a straight thru exhuast cuz of the resonator on the pacesetter so i hope it just gets a lil louder and frees up say 2hp in upper rpms
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”