Whoa! That was a close one! (Interference or Not)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
h8ter

Whoa! That was a close one! (Interference or Not)

Post by h8ter »

You guys aren't gonna believe this. I took the car in to the shop today with 85K on the clock. You know to do a thorough checkup. My mechanic then calls me and tells me that my timing belt looks to be original and that I might want to replace it. I contacted the previous owner to confirm this, and wouldn't you know it they never had it done before. Imagine at 85K that thing still held together pretty good. I couldn't believe it that's 25K over the recommended interval. Well needless to say, I got it replaced along with the new cover seals, waterpump, both accessory belts, and tensioner for only like $370. I thought it was a steal since the dealer wanted $900 for the same job. Overall I'm just glad I caught it in time.

<small>[ September 02, 2004, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: h8ter ]</small>
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Whoa! That was a close one! (Interference or Not)

Post by Josh »

thats just the recomended amount. i ran 150K miles on the origional motor and it never broke. the belt was the origional. it just depends. if its cracked or starting to show signs of wearing then change it. the nice thing about Mazdas is they have valve relief pistons, so even if they go you wont hert anything major.
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

I was under the impression that my 93 SOHC was an interference engine. So if the belt snapped then it would have killed the engine.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

nope, belt goes and it just wont run, put new one in and your back on the road
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

That's a relief, but at the same time I feel like an idiot for posting this. Oh well better to have a new one anyways, who knows when it would have gone out. I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

<small>[ September 02, 2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: h8ter ]</small>

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”