Upgrades Wish List - Opinions wanted

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
RoundTop

Upgrades Wish List - Opinions wanted

Post by RoundTop »

Ok, in about 2-3 months I am going to do a lot of upgrades to my car..and I want to run they by everyone to get their opinions.

I have a 1996 GS, and have already replaced the exhaust/muffler (done for future 2.5").

Following mods to be done:
-Cat-back 2.5" piping to muffler
-Corksport front/rear swaybars
-PRN intake kit (from corksport)
-Centerforce I clutch disc
-bronzeoil bushings
-steel braided clutch line
-performance leads and plugs
-pacesetter short-shifter

Total Cost: ~$1000CDN plus labour (gonna install clutch when I get my timing belt changed and tune-up done)

Stereo to be added:
-Alpine CD/MP3 deck
-4x Alpine 6.5" speakers
-Clarion 450W 4 channel amp
-Lead to trunk for future subwoofers and amp

Total Cost: ~$1000 CDN including installation

Tires, currently I have dunlop D65s and they suck in the wet (horribly) so I am gonna replace them with fuzions

Total cost: ~$700CDN for a set of 4 + install

opinions?
MX-West Car Club

Re: Upgrades Wish List - Opinions wanted

Post by MX-West Car Club »

Don't get the Pacesetter short shifter, go for B&M short shifter.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Pacesetter will not work with bronzoil shifter bushings. Performance leads and plugs will not do much. I would leave that for last, your stock NGK pugs and wires should suffice meanwhile. Don't get Centerforce I, at least get II or even better ACT or Clutchmasters. I would also do a better research or tires that handle well in the wet. www.tirerack.com there is a lot of customer feedback and tests that they done on many tires.
Cheers,
TT
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

My .02... Consider front and rear upper strut tower braces/bars from corksport or elsewhere before the swaybars. You'll never do a cheaper suspension mod that so dramatically improves handling. I was blown away 1st time I put these on and have since added em to every car I own.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

you mean these?

http://www.corksport.com/main.php3?primNavIndex=0&mainURL=%2Fstore%2Findex.php3%3Fcat%3D237747

That is what I am referring to.

-------------------------

As for tires, thanks for the site...looks like the BF Goodrich Traction T/A H+V tires look pretty good in the reviews all over. Might just go for those (and cheap too)

As for the leads, I need to replace my timing belt soon (2000 more kms) and was thinking that they would be about due for replacement too.

<small>[ July 03, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: RoundTop ]</small>
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by RoundTop:
you mean these? That is what I am referring to.
Good, yes I mean those- "strut tower bars"... which are not sway bars (or sometimes called anti-sway bars). Apparently Corksport no longer carries the MazdaSpeed sway bars for the MX-3 but they did carry them until fairly recently. Very different upgrade and much more expensive than strut tower bars.

Anyway, good choice. You won't be disappointed and if you're as impressed as I was with em, you'll drive away for a short test drive and then won't come back for hours til you've covered every twisty road around... enjoy. :2thumbsup:
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

my bad.

yeah..gonna work with my father-in-law and install the bars and intake at the same time. the shifter can wait, the clutch disc I'll do when I get my timing belt replaced as it'll probably save me on labour a little bit.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

id just spend all money on performance upgrades not stereo, id buy engine for swap for that much $$ youre planning on spending for stereo
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Taras

Post by Taras »

IMHO, a front lower tie bar made by SRD made a biigest improvement in handling and more so in chassis rigidity. Upper strut bars not much so. Of course if you want better handling car you need to spend some money on struts, roll bar in the rear and good tires.

PS: I would do a ZE swap as a concurrent statement to Mitmaks'.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

watch the swap suggestion...

he's got a 96 (hence OBD-II)

the swap's a great idea but in the 2 years i've been looking for answers with regards to successful OBD-II KLZE swaps i've only come across more questions...

i agree with getting an ACT clutch and the B&M shifter instead of the clutchmasters and the pacesetters.. and the bronzoil bushings are great as well.

dunno about 2.5" piping.. seems awfully big for a 1.8, unless of course you're planning on swapping the engine
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

I'm NOT gonna replace the engine until mine blows up.

I've only got 95k KMs on it... so I am not replacing it. I might not replace the exhaust piping, depends.

As far as the stereo goes, that is including installation (professional) this is not just cost of hardware. Also that is with my buddy working at the place too, so I am not paying retail.

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”