Engine rebuild

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
tatsu

Engine rebuild

Post by tatsu »

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to take our K8 V6 to have it rebuilt?

Before everybody starts jumping all over me about swapping in a KL instead, I'm all for it, but I would want to have that rebuilt before installing it anyway. The problem is that our budget wouldn't allow for buying the motor and rebuilding it right now.

Our 92 MX3 runs fine overall, but at high rpms/full throttle (I.E. where I like to drive it, and my wife never ventures), particularly at the top of 1st gear, it blows smoke. Plus, the HLA's seem that little bit noisier than they used to be, even with the periodic engine flush treatment.

If I had a house with a garage, I'd be all over trying to rebuild it myself (it might take a LONG while), but we still live in an apartment...

Suggestions? Also, any idea what it would cost?
tatsu

Re: Engine rebuild

Post by tatsu »

Another option just occurred to me. I know that with some manufacturers, you can buy "factory-rebuilt" motors.

Anyone know if Mazda does that with the K-series V6's? If they did, that might be a way for me to get into a 2.5L...

Thanks again!
Taras

Re: Engine rebuild

Post by Taras »

Sorry, I will be the one to start this. My opinion is that it would be cheaper to get a lower mileage KL engine from a junkyard. Unless of course you wish to beef it up with different pistons, rods, crank, valve springs, port/polish, etc.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”