Looking for some Info about MX-3's

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Austoon

Looking for some Info about MX-3's

Post by Austoon »

I was just wondering afew things.
Im really lookin into gettin a mx-3 lately since im actually making $ and want to get my own car.
But of course parents are going on about that i shouldn't get a car that is 10 years old that i should go out and get a newer car (like yr 2000).

Im looking for a car that can not only get me to work and places but a car that i can have fun in just drivin around.

So i was just wondering if mx-3's are worth it?
Do they have alot of problems with parts always die'n out on them and crap like that?
And if theres any info that ya might think i need to know about the car that would help alot too.

Of course i would be doin an engine swap right away if i get enough $ from a loan and would also be changin most of the basic parts to aftermarket ones once i had the $ saved for them so alot of parts would be new.

Also figure i should add im lookin at gettin the V6 model so would want more info towards them then the 4 cyl.

Thanks for any help ya's can give me.
fry_81

Re: Looking for some Info about MX-3's

Post by fry_81 »

your making the right choice. these are awsome cars. they are quite reliable vehicles. now obviously being an older car, things do begin to break. the keyhole on the trunk seems to go for many,and personally ive had alot of suspension problems, whether its common, i dont know. it wasnt too expensive to do though. theres a few different engines to choose from in terms of swapping. depending on how much power your looking for really?KLDE and KLZE are the most popular i would say. KLDE's are easier to find, but not as powerful(160-170hp i think) and the KLZE is more powerful(200hp)
hope this helps.
chris.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

I have a 95 RS 5 spd. but am keeping my eyes open for an eventual GS to aquire. My RS has been incredibly reliable. One recurring problem I see come up on the UBB involves the distributor crapping out on the V6/GS models. Another is atx failures. Certainly doesn't happen to everyone but probs in these two areas do seem well known. So, I'd lean toward getting a 5 spd and if you feel ok about an engine swap you could certainly handle something like a disty replacement if needed before getting to that swap. Also, these cars seem to do a very decent job of driver protection in case of an accident. Amazing what some owners have walked away from... my .02
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by perhapsadingo8yerbaby:
Also, these cars seem to do a very decent job of driver protection in case of an accident. Amazing what some owners have walked away from... my .02
That should be your selling point to the P's. Some of the pics of demolished MX-3's I've seen on here, and the people walked away. Insane.

As far as relaibility, these cars are past 10 years, so there is a whole laundry list of things that should be replaced. But if you take care of them all at once, you should be able to get away with a few years of trouble free relaibilty before you need to replace anything. But as far as things that could leave you stranded - thermostat, water pump, timing belt and components, accesory belt tensioner bearings, and distributor could leave you stranded if they break far from home. Anything else that might break you could probably still drive on a for a while before you HAD to replace it.
Austoon

Post by Austoon »

But as far as things that could leave you stranded - thermostat, water pump, timing belt and components, accesory belt tensioner bearings, and distributor could leave you stranded if they break far from home. Anything else that might break you could probably still drive on a for a while before you HAD to replace it.
Do these things usually cost alot to replace?
So, I'd lean toward getting a 5 spd and if you feel ok about an engine swap you could certainly handle something like a disty replacement if needed before getting to that swap.
The 5 speed is pretty much 1 of the things that are a must on the car that im looking for.
As for the engine swap i'd be going for the ZE for sure. I'v already looked into them and talked to afew ppl about where i can get them and all that stuff.

Are alot of the things on this car easy to fix/replace yourself?
Im more then likely not gunna be doin them since i have no idea what im doing, but acouple ppl i know did there cars by themselves so they said they would help me anyway they could. Much rother buy them a case of beer then pay garage tons of $.

Also what are some things i should look for when i go looking for the car to buy? Like i know to look for rust on the body and on the frames..check to make sure sunroof works..look for leaks..but anything else that should be checked?
Karchiveur

Post by Karchiveur »

samers.. do these things cost AlOT! to replace?
damn.. can't use html...

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”