Brighter headlights?!

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Shades

Brighter headlights?!

Post by Shades »

I need brighter headlights, or should I say bulbs. What do you suggest getting and what do you have?<P>A stupid question that needs answers, are Xenon bulbs illegal?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Jack_Frost

Re: Brighter headlights?!

Post by Jack_Frost »

Brian has hid's, and they're damn bright! Unfortunately, north american mx-3 optics suck. If you get them, pleeease get j-spec ops! He's been pulled over a couple of times.<P>Xenon ones may be illegal...I've had em on for a while now and no probs. The bluer they are, the less light they emit... generally... and the more you get pulled over. I find they are a lot less intensive than normal lights. I love low light, so it's fine for me.
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

If you want <B>brighter</B>, goto Canadian tire and get the <B>Sylvannia Cool Blue (#9004)</B>. <P>They're not "blue" at all. But from the driver's seat, you get a GREAT, focused white light ahead of you. For people looking at you front in front of the car, the blubs look a little yellowish. But who cares! ;) It's a night and day difference from the Xenon bulbs I previously had.
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
Shades

Post by Shades »

Gary,<BR>So you say that Sylvannia Cool Blue (#9004) were brighter (at night, don't care during the day) than Xenon bulbs?<P>Oh another question sorta relating, where did you get those clear side markers and turn signal lens for the front of you car?

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

Brian actually installed HID's in his car?<BR>Wow, I wonder if they were hard to setup. Becuz I know they aren't easy and improper setup will affect alot. I'm currently using Xenon ones and they aren't that bright, but they do look ok from the front. But DO NOT go down to Richmond with those.
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
Shades

Post by Shades »

Wow I feel stupid for asking... what are HID's?

MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

Brian installed the HIDs last fall. He bought them off someone on ebay. He had a bit of a tough time installing them, no day time running lights at all now. Those HIDs can light up your whole block. As Jack Frost mentioned, the optics in the NA headlights housing sucks so the lights aims high and into the eyes of on coming traffic. J-spec headlamps also have a sharper cut-off so the light doesn't shoot into your face. I'm running Toucan Eurolite Fusions, they aren't too bad at all. Pretty bright, but the plastic on the headlamp lense need to be cleaned really good with some plastic polish.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

I would imagine there would be some problems with the RCMP down in Richmond with those HIDs... How did he deal with that problem?
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

I don't think Brian's gone down to Richmond unless he has to. He's only been given warnings so far by the cops and they tell him to readjust them.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Yes, the Sylvannia Cool Blues are definitely brighter than Xenon bulbs. Have you ever used a MAGlite flashlight? Well think of the xenons as when you twist the maglight for wide angle lighting, and the cool blue is when you focus the flashlight to illuminate further ahead.<P>Xenons are good for the asthetic "look" of pure white headlights. But as far as functionality goes, the white spectrum isn't as effective as the cool blues. When you stand in front of your car, the cool blues look a bit yellowish (like stock). But from the driver seat, your view is very bright and not yellowish at all. <P>Heh, I only realized all this cuz recently one of my xenon bulbs burnt out, and I had a set of cool blues in the garage (they're like $5 each, so I bought them as backup). I swapped them in, and I couldn't believe what I was missing. I mean, the xenons were "cool" and all, but honestly, I couldn't really see that far ahead of me at night. I had to turn on my foglights to compensate.<P>My clear corners and side markers? I custom made them myself. One of a kind! ;)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shades:<BR><STRONG>Gary,<BR>So you say that Sylvannia Cool Blue (#9004) were brighter (at night, don't care during the day) than Xenon bulbs?<P>Oh another question sorta relating, where did you get those clear side markers and turn signal lens for the front of you car?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>[ May 19, 2002: Message edited by: GMGQ ]
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I have HID XENON "bulbs" on my car and it sure makes big difference. There are some system which swaps all the light system, but as long as my car goes, the bulbs would be fine and also cheaper. Anyway, the difference will be obvious at night, and it helps me drive safe since it's so bright. I got mine at eBay and paid about $20 plus shipping $5. I was never pulled over because of lights.<P>HID = High Intensity Discharge<P><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1830532744" TARGET=_blank>HID light</A>

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”