my V8 RX-7 project is underway!

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
mattster

my V8 RX-7 project is underway!

Post by mattster »

hey guys, i haven't been on this forum in forever! i still have my red MX, but i've been really working on my newest project lately. its a RX-7 with a LT-1 V8! please check out my cardomain website to read my somewhat exciting story.

Matt's V8 RX-7 page

<small>[ July 21, 2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: mattster ]</small>
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
RaverChankoMX3

Re: my V8 RX-7 project is underway!

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

why don't you just buy a corvette you wankel traitor.

very not coo...
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Shut up Ryan--

A V8 RX-7 is VERY cool.

:driver:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mattster

Post by mattster »

because corvettes don't cost $500, they weigh 3300 lbs, and are a dead giveaway of a fast car. wow, how did i know that i would find some haters? tell me this... which would you rather see, the rx-7 get crushed, or restored to an incredible machine? and just to let you know, i am a HUGE rotary fan and your assuming alot going out and dissin me like this. but whatever you want to think. anyway, its been incredibly exciting for me to finally get started with this project and i can't wait to have it running next summer. thanks for the compliment, perry!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

What did you do with the rotary engine?? Consider selling it?? How many miles, etc..??
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mattster

Post by mattster »

if you read the website, basically i bought my first RX for $500 planning on using it for the swap. but i got the engine running, so i am going to sell the whole car for a profit then buy another one for around the same price range and perform the swap on that. i would hate to waste a great running RX!

^link to my V8 swap page
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

whats with all the hate, lets say this, it will be faster than 99% of MX-3s, and speed in ANY form i respect
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

sweet man, are you doing it custom, or did you buy a kit, and if so, which one?
what kind of car IS that?
mattster

Post by mattster »

thank you papa roached and patrick halacy! it will DEFINATELY be faster than my MX-3 :welder:

^link to my V8 swap page
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

yeah me and a few friends were thinking of gettin an old rx-7 and messing around with it because they are so cheap, just think, if four friends each chipped in 500 bucks you could have a 12 second car......wow.....

anyways good luck, and show us your timeslips after you hit the strip!
what kind of car IS that?
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Faster than ANY MX???? HAHAHAHHAAAAAAAHHAHAHAAA...I respect you cuz it will be fast, BUT....thats a HUGE hurddle to leap! For Example...Marco Acusta's 20B rotary powered MX...I believe he went 7.5 and faster in the 1/4 mile.... My car is getting close to going back together.....Turbo only will put down 550-600WHP at 30psi. An S2000 used the same turbo to put down 559+WHP at 23psi. Then comes my 150+HP Shot of N2O. That with the head work will be good enough for at LEAST 650+WHP! Not to mention my car's weight is deminishing to right around 2000lbs. The car will be streetable and have enough power to weight ratio for high 8 to low 9 second 1/4 mile times with 160+MPH trap speeds! Don't believe me? Go to www.extrememotorsports.com and check out the calculator also on www.rx-7.com

I'm not saying you couldn't do it......but you have some HUGE shoes to fill my friend! Wish you the best of luck...after all, there is no replacement for displacement! Personally I would have swaped in a 20B with a standalone! My beater is a N/A 87 RX-7 with several bolt ons. Have fun....your car will be quick, no doubt! :freak: :welder:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i said 99% of MX-3s, not all, open your eyes and read and im glad you got that kinda money to throw into your MX to make that kinda power, not every one does because i dont see many MXs at that power level on here, do you?

<small>[ July 23, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mattster

Post by mattster »

and... if you think that i said it would be faster than all MX-3's... read my post again! i said it will be faster than MY MX-3. i still have the stock 1.8 V6 in mine :dunno: . and trust me, i've been around this forum for a long time and i know full well that there's MX-3's that could go ALOT faster than my project! my goodnesss, i wasn't trying to offend people around here by posting my new project, i thought you guys would have an open mind and appreciate a new idea every once in a while. but i guess that if i'm not putting my money into an mazda engine, i just don't get any respect. and for the last time, i would have loved to put a TT 20B in as well, afterall they put out similar HP as an LT-1, but i just don't have 5K to throw around! if you read my website, you will see that the project budget is $3000, considering i am paying for college as well. BTW your car is absolutely incredible, personally i have always wanted to see a MX-3/323 hybrid for A LONG time, and i never knew someone had actually successfully done it! :driver:

<small>[ July 23, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: mattster ]</small>

^link to my V8 swap page
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I say more power to ya, bro. It won't get the props that you'd get for a 20B, but the speed will demand some respect!
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Sorry for the incorrect data....I should be floged! LOL.... Especially since I'm a Design Engineer....I'm supposed to be exact....just kidding :laugh: There are a lot of MX-3's out there pushing 200+HP.... Shay and I have been doing it for a couple years now. Both cars are capable of high 12's on the IHI VJ13/14 turbo for a couple years now. You would be suprised how many are pushing Potent power! V8 RX-7's aren't anything to joke about! They have been dominating circle track races for years. Most all of them say the RX-7 actually handels like it was made for the V8 (small amount of counter weighting is recommended). $3000 could do a LOT for a 13B, turbo or not. But it's all preferance, and nothing in my opinon beats the sound of a loopy big block.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”