The perfect launch

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Hy300

The perfect launch

Post by Hy300 »

What is the perfect rpm to get a good launch with a GS. I launched once at 3000 and got a lot of wheel bounce (bad shocks I suppose) and that cost me a lot of time as once things settled the revs dropped to about 1500 before the car really started going. Then later I launched at 4000 and my tires spun for a second and I got a decent launch. I know the MX-3 has a terrible first gear, but is there any way to get a really good launch that can help make up for this shortcoming. <P>As a note I'm proud to say that (even though I lost because first gear sucks) once I got it into second I didn't lose an inch to my friend and his 200+hp JEEP Wrangler. Ended up only losing by a car length the second time.
torpedan

Re: The perfect launch

Post by torpedan »

Your launch depends a lot more on your tires as opposed to your rpm's Just really have to find a balance you like.<P>If you want it to stick better for a higher rpm dump you need a softer rubber or more sidewall..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I used to race my mx-3 alot about 2 summers ago back when I just got it. I had brand new BFG Touring TA 205/55/15's. The clutch was in decent shape and the suspension seemed pretty good. I couldn't chirp the tires shifting to 2nd but the clutch had decent bite to it. <P>So the best way to launch was: hold it at 5000 rpm and drop the clutch. (yes I know that was very very bad but I did it anyway). If I dropped it at 3000 rpm it would just bog, same with 4000 rpm. When I dropped it at 5000 rpm I would leave about 10 feet of rubber then I would have traction. I think when all the smoke was clear and I had traction the tach would be at about 3000-4000rpm already so first gear would go pretty quick. <P>I hope that helps.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
white fish

Post by white fish »

I disagre with most of you wheel spin will cost ypu 60' times (racing is hard on your clutch) so bring the RPM's up to 3-4 then let out the clutch as fast as you can with out spining the tires then floor it
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Thanks for the suggestions, my clutch is in great shape (clutch master's stage 2) and can grab hard when I race. My tires are Dayton Daytona HR which have strong sidewall and great traction.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Heh my clutch is abit on the toast side right now need to finds the time to drop a new one in i can still get it to spin the tires though.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><STRONG>I disagre with most of you wheel spin will cost ypu 60' times (racing is hard on your clutch) so bring the RPM's up to 3-4 then let out the clutch as fast as you can with out spining the tires then floor it</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Have you ever raced? Mild spinning is the fastest launch with street tires and FWD.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Hex3

Post by Hex3 »

I have recently Put in a KL-ZE in my MX and if i launch at 3-4,000 RPM then i will spin first, second and i will catch Third. I would never launch that high. I think the best way to launch is when u limit the spinning of your tire. Usually i will launch at 1,500 and try to chirp the tires so u actually dont do a big burnout and sit in one spot. I have a stage one clutch and a Fidanza flywheel....With my old 1.8 i launched at 2,500...
2.5 KL-ZE, BBS rims, I the front i have to falkin Azenis, Intrax Springs, CM Stage 1 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, Pacesetter short shifter, Tociko Blue Struts, Sparco Steering Wheel, Yellow Top Battery
Alpine Type R Subs 10's, Alpine 2 Channel Amp, Alpine 4 channel
Amp, Alpine Alarm,Alpine Headunit
14.8 @ 94.2(with vaccume lick)
white fish

Post by white fish »

haha yea I have raced a fair bit and read lots or articals on racing and spinning cost you 60' times <P>either your spinning or your moving and you want to move down the track not sit at the line then move down track right
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><STRONG>haha yea I have raced a fair bit and read lots or articals on racing and spinning cost you 60' times <P>either your spinning or your moving and you want to move down the track not sit at the line then move down track right</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I run 2.2 sec 60' times on street tires without the help of a good clutch or VHT. Do whatever you want. I'll stick to getting out of the hole quicker than you.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

I am willing to try this spinning techniqe i usually launch at 3500 to 4000 rpm and i launch like a snail what would ba a good rpm to launch at for a mild spin launch. protege sts?
You can just call me the originator
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrprecidia:<BR><STRONG>I am willing to try this spinning techniqe i usually launch at 3500 to 4000 rpm and i launch like a snail what would ba a good rpm to launch at for a mild spin launch. protege sts?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Practice...as has been said before in this thread, there is no "ideal" number. You gotta take a look at a lot of different things. Tires, surface, clutch, power....<P>I launch at about 3500 rpm, but with the BP, thats damn near peak torque.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
white fish

Post by white fish »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>I run 2.2 sec 60' times on street tires without the help of a good clutch or VHT. Do whatever you want. I'll stick to getting out of the hole quicker than you.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>HAHA whatever buddy
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>HAHA whatever buddy</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And your 60's are?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
white fish

Post by white fish »

2.2 , 2.3 , 2.4 in that area but when my tires are spinning around 2.7

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”