G-Tech- P.O.S. or a good comparison tool?

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
MAZDASPEED STEVE

G-Tech- P.O.S. or a good comparison tool?

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

Yesterday I gave the G-Tech a try with my rebuilt 2.5L w/intake/exhaust/MSD/no spare tire/but auto tranny :mad: and f@*king got a high 16-17 at 85-90mph!<BR>Is this correct? Doesn't a stock run like 16's? :confused: <BR>After my rebuild, and some work done to the heads I estmate a little more than 170hp at the flywheel?<BR>What times should I expect in my GSR auto? Anybody know if Kevin Gettens has run his yet?<BR>I do know that my cv axle is going, and still have some bugs to work out, but they can't be THAT bad?
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
Sonicxtacy02

Re: G-Tech- P.O.S. or a good comparison tool?

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Something must be wrong there... i pulled 17.6 on my GS. Wish i could help [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Iv heard that its only good for compairing befor and after tests<P>you got a 17 sec, then you put a cold air kit on and you got a 16.8, then headers and you got a 16.5 then slicks and you got a 15.9.....that type of thing<P>its not really a good replacement for the track as far as exact numbers go.<P>Iv heard that they are about 1-2 sec slower than a proper track.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curtklze:<BR><STRONG>Iv heard that its only good for compairing befor and after tests<P>you got a 17 sec, then you put a cold air kit on and you got a 16.8, then headers and you got a 16.5 then slicks and you got a 15.9.....that type of thing<P>its not really a good replacement for the track as far as exact numbers go.<P>Iv heard that they are about 1-2 sec slower than a proper track.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> They arent that off.. I have a gtech and they are usually 1-2 tenths off. It allllll depends on if you have it set up properly.<BR> Make sure it is perfectly straight and that its in the CENTER of the windshield..
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
MAZDASPEED STEVE

See that's what disturbs me ( no offence Jarid) but how can a RS with roughly 99hp do 14.9 and a GS-R with at least 170hp do 16-17? :( :mad:
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Sorry 14.62 :p
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZDASPEED STEVE:<BR><STRONG>Sorry 14.62 :p</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Hahaha. Well if you've been on this board for any length of time you would know I don't have just any ole RS. I have a pretty good list of mods and I use slicks at the track..Oh and maybe the 75 shot of NOS helped. That 14.62 was at Sacramento speedway. My gtech was showin me at 15.2 all day long on the street. Not too far off if you ask me..
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjthor:<BR><STRONG><BR> Hahaha. Well if you've been on this board for any length of time you would know I don't have just any ole RS. I have a pretty good list of mods and I use slicks at the track..Oh and maybe the 75 shot of NOS helped. That 14.62 was at Sacramento speedway. My gtech was showin me at 15.2 all day long on the street. Not too far off if you ask me..</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Even with the 75 shot you're still looking at similar figures to a GSR (100 + 75= 175bhp versus 170whp from the ZE). Not tryin to bash but that doesnt add up to me
Shaun Newman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG><P>Even with the 75 shot you're still looking at similar figures to a GSR (100 + 75= 175bhp versus 170whp from the ZE). Not tryin to bash but that doesnt add up to me</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Slicks.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

do they really make a 2-3 second difference?
Shaun Newman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>do they really make a 2-3 second difference?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Slicks and the difference in transmission could easily be a 2 second difference. Mazda Slushboxes suck.<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Well I guess it's time for me to weigh my options considering my brand new tranny cost me $4000 and my rebuilt N.A. 2.5L cost another $4000:<BR>1-drop more $ into the auto<BR>2-do a tranny swap = more $$$<BR>3-sell my MX-3 and join the dark side(honda?)<BR>...Wait a minute, give my head a shake, I could never do that! Buy a honda? A lego kit on wheels.<BR>Anyways got any suggestions guys? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

You must have somthing set up wrong or somthing wrong with your G-Teck. I got 17s flat on my first try with my G-teck and thats with a bad start, on a modded 1.8l. And Im not far from Toronto so it was at the same sea level.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
MAZDASPEED STEVE

all I know is that it was at +2 or -2, not really in the center of my winsheild, and had a poor start, was rushed due to unexpected traffic on a country road? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZDASPEED STEVE:<BR><STRONG>all I know is that it was at +2 or -2, not really in the center of my winsheild, and had a poor start, was rushed due to unexpected traffic on a country road? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> DUH! right there dude. you didnt have it hooked up right. that plus and minus HAS to be at zero. If not it throws it allllll off. And yes slicks do make that much of a difference.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”