Drifting

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
powerman_5000

Drifting

Post by powerman_5000 »

Is it possible to drift a mx-3? I've seen some poeple drift some cars at a track near my house and found it interesting.
VizualXTC

Re: Drifting

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by powerman_5000:<BR><STRONG>Is it possible to drift a mx-3? I've seen some poeple drift some cars at a track near my house and found it interesting.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sure you could with some modifications.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

Drifting is a technic used mostly on FR cars. Some drifters do it on AWD as well. But I don't think FF cars drift. Mainly grip driving is how FF cars are driven. I guess there are exceptions....
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
pelado

Post by pelado »

As Soulflare mentioned it's harder to drift with a FWD (FF? FR? what is that?) car. I watched a contest in Germany (on Speed channel, what else?) where the contestants tried to perform the most stylish drift, all used RWD cars. The opening and closing sequences of MotorVision on Speed had this neat shot of a 911 drifting through a tight turn on a mountain road.<P>Drifting is not necessarily the fastest way through a corner, with a few exceptions like WRC, but it does look cool!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
kohlf

Post by kohlf »

Well I am not exactly sure what drifting means but by the sounds of it, it seems to be when you kick you car sideways going through a corner ... Am I right or am I a fool? :D Because if I am right, Drifting can be done with any type of car ... All you need is technique ... A pal of mine does it all the time with his wee-little Ford Festiva ... If I am wrong then this whole post was a waste of all of our times ... At least I'll be wiser tho' ... And for the record ... FR stands for Front engine - Rear Drive .... FF is Front engine - Front drive ... once again that is what I think it stands for ... HAHA ... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] cheers
Take 'er easy ... if she's easy take 'er twice ... SHIBBY
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

FR and FF, I'm feeling the urge to watch some Initial D.....the kewlest anime ever for those who don't know.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

FF = Front engine, Front wheel drive<P>FR = Front engine, Rear wheel drive<P>anyone who has EVER played Gran Turismo knows that.. jeez!!<P>hehe :D
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
pelado

Post by pelado »

No GT, just F1. :D
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

actually, i practiced drifting with my mx-3 in an EMPTY PARKING LOT...very important. practice somewhere safe and empty. it was pretty stupid of me to practice in a public place so i recommend going to some type of driving school. it's possible if your technique is good. you can really damage your brakes and wear them out fast though like i did which was the cause of a later accident when i rear-ended a car. i recommend not drifting because why do you need to drift anyway? to get away from police? even if you can, they'll catch you. if you observe police, they're very good drivers.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

Yes thats basically what it stands for,<BR>FR,RR and AWD usually used to drift. Very popular in HongKong b4. But also alot of accidents becuz of it. <BR>Rayray, I agree with u... that is one of the better animes. Guess ur an anime fan like me too ^^
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

I found out it is possible to drift in a FF car. If you go to superstreetonline.com and goto the how-to section under cartech. Click on see more under general and then click on the the first step by step topic. It tells you everything you need to do to drift in a FF car.
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

the whole point of drifting is over steer and FWD cars do not get that they get under steer.....If you wanna drift get a 240 sx(then drop a sr20det in it) or a rx7.....or you could do a stupid version of a drift and pull the E-brake
Steve
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stevech_2001:<BR><STRONG>the whole point of drifting is over steer and FWD cars do not get that they get under steer.....If you wanna drift get a 240 sx(then drop a sr20det in it) or a rx7.....or you could do a stupid version of a drift and pull the E-brake</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>spend $100 on your MX-3 and learn how to drive it accordingly and I bet you that same $100 that can get it to oversteer...<BR>no doubt about it! :D
- EUNOS 30X -
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

It is possible to oversteer the mx3. Do it all the time.<BR>I dont want to sound cocky but i didnt have to spend money on instruction. I just live in Canada and with the snow it was easy to learn, and then progress on to the street, i mean track. :)Ive had the car in my family sice km-0 so ive learned a lot. First thing: The right tires are crucial. With performance tires on all 4 rims in the snow, you should watch out cause its dangerous. At least put on all season tires with a M+S rating (mud and snow). But still the car has lots or torque but no bite in the snow. So what i recommend for MAXIMUM DRIFTAGE! :mad: is a good set of snow/ice on the front and the all seasons on the back.<BR>With all 4 snows its tough to get it sideways without using the e brake and we dont want that.<BR>Have you ever noticed why your tires tilt in a certain way, top of the tire in? I dont know the exact terminology (ProtogeSTS knows)<BR>but it allows for the tires to kind of steer you like when a bike wheel tilts to turn. Furthermore the mx3 has a rear trapizoidal multilink suspension set-up which makes the FWD car drive like a RWD car and get throttle induced oversteer, or MAXIMUM DRIFTAGE! Just aim the nose in and crank it with little blips of the throttle, keep the steering wheel loose in the fingers, look where you want to go, and watch for snow plows. :mad:
KWK MX3
Swego

Post by Swego »

the Citroen Xsara WRC car is front wheel drive (not sure what year). And rally is all about drifting.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”