Need new strut towers

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Brainless

Need new strut towers

Post by Brainless »

My car has been doing a weird noise lately and my mechanic just told me I need new strut towers in front. They're 100CND each. Does anyone know where I could get a pair for cheaper?....possibly online?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Re: Need new strut towers

Post by schuttie2002 »

Well unless I'm mistaken your talking about strut mounts. If thats the case, nopi.com has um for like 33$ a piece (u.s. currency) not sure about their shipping though. Also if you go to google.com and type in OEM Car Parts, you'll find all kinds of links to places that have some replacement parts for our cars. Most mounts on those sites are like 45(u.s.) or so, and sometimes they do free shipping for purchases over 50$. just look around a lil on google if you dont want the nopi.com ones and you'll be good to go.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Wow that's awesome!! :D But can I get a confirmation that strut mounts and strut towers are the same thing?

Thanks alot! :D
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

I just called my mechanic and they're not the same. In fact, I need both :( . The strut mount is the part sitting on top of the strut and the strut tower is bolted into the strut mount, right under it.

Thanks anyway!
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

I keep searching all the online auto part shop and I can't find strut towers....do they have another name?? I've seen "strut bellows", "strut mounts" and "strut assembly" but no strut towers. :sadwavey:

Thanks for help
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

chances are, you don't need the strut mount, as it's very rare for those to go bad.

other than that, you have the strut assembly which is probably what you need. this along with new bump stops.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

I just went back to talk with my mechanic. He showed me which part he was talking about. It's the part that bolts on to the strut mount and the strut itself. It has a ball bearing to help rotate when you turn. There's a similar part for the rear suspension but w/o the ball bearing system.

Now that I know what I'm talking about, I'll get back to my original question....

Where can I buy those at a good price?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

What part exactly was ur mechanic talking about? Go to page r-12 on the online shop manual and point out what # he showed is malfuctioning
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

It's all the parts on the right except for part 2 (the strut mount). So part 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Welp I know the parts you mean now, just I dont know how you order those parts individually. Like you've said in your previous post, I also dont see them listed from parts places. You could always ask MAZDA but that might hurt as much as the price your mechanic gave you. I guess you could pick that stuff up at a junk yard, but who knows how long that will last too. lemme know how everything goes then I'd be interested to find out what you ended up doing.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

I'll probably just go with the ones my mechanic proposed. I found a good deal on tokico struts which are cheaper than the stock ones. I was just hoping I could find a good deal for the strut towers too. Don't you think it's odd that the tokico struts are actually cheaper than the stock struts? Can someone explain to me why?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

heh..why dont u ask anyone in the buy and sell forum? i think your mechanic might want to rip you off :p but well if its easier..just pay the guy for the parts and let him do it right i guess...keep the old parts for future reference, and to make sure he changd them.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

I had the same problem - you can just change the bearing inside the strut mount - they are C$25 for two at the Mazda dealer,

good luck
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Ya but my struts are dying too. I guess it's the right time to change them.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”