ZX2's + Suspension Techniques + 92' GS (I can't stand

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
quicksliver

ZX2's + Suspension Techniques + 92' GS (I can't stand

Post by quicksliver »

First off, i would just like to make it clear that Suspension Technique lowering springs are NOT designed for the V6 (GS)...they are meant for the 4cyl (RS) mx-3.

I know this because I had this combo for just over a year now and ever since the very first day i had them installed by a licenced mechanic...they have been clunking (...just the front ones).

Here i am a year later and im honestly seconds away from walking out to my car and taking a baseball bat to it...

- ProtageSTS mentioned that some of the coils are supposed to hit eachother
- My mechanic says that no coil should ever hit eachother and that my suspension technique lowering springs (designed for the 4cyl) which are currently on my V6 GS will ultimatley wreck my two front ZX2 struts. Any truth to this?
- Also, various people around mx-3.com are suggesting that it could also be the upper spring mount perches.

So what do i do now? For just over a year now I have been living with a horrible clunking noise EVERY SINGLE TIME i go over a small bump in the road and im sick of it. I NEED ADVISE!! Who has a lowered car that has a V6 engine (NOT a 4CYL) and does not have any clunking noise when going over bumps? Cause id' LOVE to know.

Again, if you have a 4cyl engine...please don't even respond to this thread. Im only interested in the guys that have a V6 engine.

<small>[ March 10, 2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Quick Sliver ]</small>
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: ZX2's + Suspension Techniques + 92' GS (I can't stand

Post by babyblueMX3 »

****ty..you told me that you loved em to death when I talked to you?..Now I've bought zx2 and ST's.. :(
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

I have had Both koni's with Proracingsprings and kyb's plus proracingsprings and NO clunking..

Except when going over large bumps the coils never "clunks" together..

And i might add,the koni's was set HARD and the kyb's were like standard soft...So the springs must be where youre problem is located.

But since you dont use MX-3 struts i guess it cant really be compaired..

But still i would think that your springs simply are too soft ;)
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

You might wanna check the endlinks on your front strutbar. When I had my clutch replaced I had clunking when going over bumps and stuff.

Tightened the endlinks and the clunking disappeared.

Now I`m on Koni`s + H&R springs, and have no clunking.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

This is the setup I was Going to get in about a week. now up to this point I've heard only good things about it. I'm running a 92 gs also is there another spring I should think about going with. I don't want Eibach i don't think it will give me the dropI'm looking for.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

I have Apex springs with ZX2 struts and I do not hear "clunking" sounds like you describe.

The Apex springs seem to work well with the ZX2 struts, in the past year with this setup I have hit some very hard bumps and pot holes and the APEX/ZX2 combo has held up very well, no dented rims or anything. With my old stock springs and struts I dented the rims a lot more because they couldn't handle the hard hits but with APEX/ZX2 its been pretty smooth and problem free.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Originally posted by Andrew_Pakula:
I have Apex springs with ZX2 struts and I do not hear "clunking" sounds like you describe.

The Apex springs seem to work well with the ZX2 struts, in the past year with this setup I have hit some very hard bumps and pot holes and the APEX/ZX2 combo has held up very well, no dented rims or anything. With my old stock springs and struts I dented the rims a lot more because they couldn't handle the hard hits but with APEX/ZX2 its been pretty smooth and problem free.
where did u get ur springs from, how much were they and what kind of drop did u get with them?
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

hmm my ST springs dont make any clunking noises at all. when does it clunk? while moving? braking? going over bumps?
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Originally posted by johnnyb:
hmm my ST springs dont make any clunking noises at all. when does it clunk? while moving? braking? going over bumps?
And you have them paired with zx2's on a v6?
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Originally posted by johnnyb:
Interesting. It clunks when going over bumps...

Now if this guy has ZX2 struts...maybe it's not the springs that we hear making the clunking sound, maybe it's the actual upper mounts the strut goes into?
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

Originally posted by Eggo:
And you have them paired with zx2's on a v6?
yes and yes
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i have a clunk when going over bumps as well and thought it was my struts and thats what it sounded like. but when i put my springs in this past weekend they were fine. and i found that it was my rack and pinion that was clunking, one of the saddels are worn so everytime i go over a bump it clunks. and putting in the strut bar made it even worse.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

how fast are you going over the bumps? norm speeds? im assuming its the upper strut mount area because thats the only place that can make clunking noises when going over bumps. is your strut rod jammed and hitting something that can be caused by a loose bolt? it might also be caused from a small diameter rod and maybe your strut mount is a bigger diameter? i know im 4cyl but just trying to help. :)
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

just a thought, I had clunking noise too, but it turned out to be broken stabilizer links which are sometimes hard to see if they are broken.
Street-Import
Supporting Member

Post by Street-Import »

ok good to know, I will inspect everything when I will install mine soon

thanks for all the info

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”