Replacing MX-3 Computer chip...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
KingFisher

Replacing MX-3 Computer chip...

Post by KingFisher »

Is there a computer chip you can put in that will increase your power?? Does this exist??<P>Thanx Image :0
ANDREW*<BR>1996 Mazda MX-3 GS
Xyphin

Re: Replacing MX-3 Computer chip...

Post by Xyphin »

If there is I have yet to find one however xeffer said they made one but the HP gain from an NA wont be worth it until you have a turbo, which he as a valid point. You could probably find out more in the 4cyl or 6cyl forum.<p>[This message has been edited by Xyphin (edited August 07, 2001).]
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Superchips has one for the v6. <A HREF="http://www.superchips.com/import.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.superchips.com/import.htm</A> <P>Jet also has one, but it does not say specifically for 1.6 or 1.8. You would have to contact them. <A HREF="http://www.jetchip.com/imports/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jetchip.com/imports/</A>
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Those new "chips" or tuned ones can only even come close to what they claim if installed in a stock engine environment. They're made to increase the performance the way the car came from the factory. So if you say, have an intake or exhaust or whatever, they don't work right and could even net a loss of hp. Usually those chips are pure BS on imports anyways. It is possible to have a chip tuned specifically to your mod's and have it make a difference but that's usually expensive. <P>mason<BR>MX3SE
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

From what I can tell (and have been told by mechanics), the Mazda 4-cyl engine is very efficient and has been severly restricted to keep the car at a lower level (wouldn't want it to take away from the RX-7 would we?). I am not sure how true that is, but you can tell from the intake manifold that it is designed well. The manifold is chambered (rounded) rather than being all flat. It is like each cylinder has its own port rather than just cramming it all into the manifold and letting it mix together. One thing I have noticed about the Mazda DOHC 4-cyl (in the MX-3 and Miata) is that it LOVES the RPMs. Most cars will pull strong and then will level off at a certian RPM, but the DOHC 4-cyl will just keep pulling harder the more RPMs you give it. In fact, I think I saw somewhere that the peak HP is about 100RPM before redline. At any rate, they are fun to drive.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Yeah, the 1.8 v6 is the same way, RPMs are it's heaven as long as she's well taken care of. Actually, it's good to do high RPM driving if it's in good shape because it keeps the carbon and some other stuff down due to how these engines were made to zing Image<P>mason<BR>MX3SE
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
Xyphin

Post by Xyphin »

Ran Man Quote<BR>In fact, I think I saw somewhere that the peak HP is about 100RPM before redline. At any rate, they are fun to drive.<P>Do you know where you read or heard about that I would be interested to learn more on this, ive noticed several times in my L4 DOHC hitting that range before dropping back down.<BR>
DiGiTaL

Post by DiGiTaL »

Superchips can make a chip for any MX-3.<BR>You just have to fill out one of there custom chip forms and they will make a chip that suits your engine and modifications exactly.<p>[This message has been edited by DiGiTaL (edited August 09, 2001).]
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Look at the stats on the page listed below. In particular, check out the RPMs listed by the HP and Torque. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/brochure/specificat ... erformance" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/brochure/specificat ... ormance</A> <BR>
speedymx3

Post by speedymx3 »

I recently superchipped my 93 mx3 and you can immediately feel the difference.It feels stronger from 100rpm to 5000rpm. Acceleration is definitely enchanced. This is the only "bolt on mod" so far that has impressed me.<BR>I highly recommend.
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

how much stronger does it feel?
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
94mx3rsr

Post by 94mx3rsr »

changing the mapping on a stock atmospheric engine is a waste of money, these chips run for at least $600.00 and do not change much.....several people i know put in chips in their car and it did not do much........Its pretty hard to program a chip better than the engineers at mazda and for that matter any manufacturer!<P>If you have a turbo, well thats another story!
Jean-Michel Basque
STOCK BPT @ 8.5PSI
3 RUNS ON THE 1/4 = 14.85 @ 96
speedymx3

Post by speedymx3 »

The original chip is programmed for efficiency,and to protect your engine.The super chip is programmed for more power while sacrificing some safety.It takes the engine to a point beyond what the manufacurer detemines as safe. <BR>In terms of increase in hp, it is suppose to increase 10%,about 13hp.<BR>What is interesting, is where the power comes on, normally you have to rev your engine pretty high for good acceleration, however with the chip the power comes on earlier, from about 2500rpm(it may come in earlier, but it is imperceptible to me)<BR>It may not be cheap , but it has been the only bolt on mod that has resulted in an increase in performance that I can really feel.<BR>
renef

Post by renef »

Guys, guys:<P>The little 1.6 is only 88Hp. Imagine what that translates to at the wheels. It's very weak. I'm not dissing anyone. I own a 1.6 MX-3.<P>NO CHIP is worth the money, time or effort until you turbo the car. Really.<P>For the same money, mill the dead down about .020. I think max is .035. You increase compression and you get a real jump in horsepower.<P>The other favorite is NOS. Loads of fun. Watch out for the cops though.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

around how much in usd would it cost to mill the head down and if anyone has done this how much of a gain can be expected?<BR>thanks in advance,<P>chris<BR>93RS
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”