Suspension Question

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
powerman_5000

Suspension Question

Post by powerman_5000 »

I was told that if you lower your car with either lowering springs or coilovers, it will wear out the stock struts or shocks a lot quicker. Is this true? Can someone give me a link to a site that explains this more in depth. Thanks

Matt
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Suspension Question

Post by wyldside »

Yes it is true if you get struts that are not designed for lowering. You shouldn't put lowering springs on stock struts or even KYB GR2s. They aren't designed for it. You'd be better off with some Mazdaspeeds Adjustables. That's just my 2 cents.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

I was pretty much asking about any car, not just the MX-3. What about coilovers? Will they wear out stock struts or shocks?
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

ya, they arent strong enuff to handle the drop. the strut itself needs to be tougher in order to still have a lotta piston strength at a lower height. i unfortunately found this out by buying KYB GR2's with dropzones... 2" drop on somewhat stock struts. and that aint good for em, so you need performance struts built for lowering. (using mazda as an example: zx2's or mazdaspeeds) so check out what struts you need before you get spings or coilovers. good luck!
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

your strut is a dampner, and it needs to dampen the spring energy of your spring. Lowering springs have higher spring rates than your stock springs, and therefore have more energy when they compress. Therefore, the stock struts cannot dampen the aftermarket springs, and you get an underdampened ride (bouncy), AND they wear out a lot quicker.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”