question about cutting spring perches

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
2.5mx3

question about cutting spring perches

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Hello everyone! I just bought a set of the GC coilovers, which are on their way now. But I'm told that I'll need to cut part of the spring perch in order to lower the car more than about 1.25". Just wondering from anyone who's done the installation exactly how much of the perch they cut. Also, I think it was Jesse who said that cutting about 1/3 of the stock bumpstop is a good idea. Won't this cause it to bottom out a little more? Thanks for any info guys!
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
pelado

Re: question about cutting spring perches

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2.5mx3:<BR><STRONG>Hello everyone! I just bought a set of the GC coilovers, which are on their way now. But I'm told that I'll need to cut part of the spring perch in order to lower the car more than about 1.25". Just wondering from anyone who's done the installation exactly how much of the perch they cut. Also, I think it was Jesse who said that cutting about 1/3 of the stock bumpstop is a good idea. Won't this cause it to bottom out a little more? Thanks for any info guys!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Cutting the spring perch will void your strut warranty, but in your case, it's a moot point since installing GC's will void your strut warranty as well!! I didn't cut the perches off so I can't give you any advice here.<P>Cutting the bumper is a must with the GC's, in fact the instructions tell you how much to cut off. Since your car will be lower, if you do NOT cut the bumpstop, you will bottom out quite easily.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Hey, thanks for the response. I thought at first that I wouldn't be able to go low enough without cutting the perches; but after talking to a few people with the GC coilovers, it seems that they go quite low enough without doing that. Thanks again!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG><P>Cutting the spring perch will void your strut warranty, but in your case, it's a moot point since installing GC's will void your strut warranty as well!! I didn't cut the perches off so I can't give you any advice here.<P>Cutting the bumper is a must with the GC's, in fact the instructions tell you how much to cut off. Since your car will be lower, if you do NOT cut the bumpstop, you will bottom out quite easily.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Rayman

Post by Rayman »

cutting the perches gained me at least another inch to lower....but if ur not after the really slammed look, then id say save time and energy ;)
wgale

Post by wgale »

Hey,<P>When you cut the perches, did you completely cut it off, and then weld on another flat perch that doesn't prevent the adjuster from going all the way down. Or did you just cut off the part of the perch that gets in the way. I was just wondering what the best way would be?<BR>Thanks!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”