the removal of ones in dash cassett player

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jimboxer

the removal of ones in dash cassett player

Post by jimboxer »

wondering how to remove my cassett player<BR>just bought a cd-player<BR>actually a mp3/cdplayer<BR>the jvc kdsh-99. wicked player!<P>anyhow if anyone has any tips for me by all means please reply. i would like to get this player in asap!<P>Jimboxer<BR>95' blaze red RS
Get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on!!
RanMan

Re: the removal of ones in dash cassett player

Post by RanMan »

You will need to get a Ford factory radio removal kit. This consists of 2 u-bolt shaped pieces of metal with pointed ends. On the radio unit, if you look on the left and right hand edges of the unit, you should see some strips of rubber (4 of them...2 on each side). You will be able to remove these strips of rubber to reveal 2 holes on each side (4 total). You will then insert the removal kit into these holes until you hear (or feel) them click. Then you need to press the two tools towards eachother (or perhaps away from eachother...I can't remember). Next, just use the tools as handles to pull the unit out. I can tell you from experience on Zoom24's car that it is a REAL pain in the a-- (even WITH the removal kit). I cannot imagine how frustrated you would be without the correct kit. I would recommend checking with a parts shop (Pep Boys?) or with a Mazda/Ford Dealer. The dealer might be able to do it for free (or perhaps for a small fee). It is probably cheaper than purchasing the tool.
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

Actually, the tools are less than $5 if you buy them in the right place. I've already taken my cassette player out. It's not as hard as you might think, it's the wiring that might make you frustrated. I watched (and helped) my boyfriend install my CD player (Pioneer DEH-something-or-other) into my car. And, if your friends have a Ford cassette player in their car...you can remove theirs when they get their own CD player. Image It's not so bad.<P>------------------<BR>Zoom Zoom Zoom
Ray_seeger

Post by Ray_seeger »

Actually it's cheaper than that.<P>just cut a metal hanger so that you can make two u-shaped pieces a few inches long and just wide enough to fit into the two holes. Put the hanger bits into the holes and press outwards. With a bit of jostling you should be able to get it out.<P>thats how i got mine out.<P>good luck<p>[This message has been edited by Ray_seeger (edited August 07, 2001).]
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

Hehe....<P>AMen Ray. Thats how I got mine out. You want to do 2 things though before wiring:<P>1) Look at the wiring diagram in the online manual so you know what to connect where. It really helps.<P>2) mark your wires so you know what goes where (should be easy with the wiring FAQ)
Elena, don't misunderstand. A pro isn't someone who sacrifices themselves for their job. That is just a fool.
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

the BEST thing to do is to get a plug for the wiring harness. You can get them for about $15-$20 at a car stereo installation shop (I got mine from Pep Boys). It plugs right into the existing factory plug and then all you have to do is to hook up the wires to the back of your radio. The wires are even marked, so you know what one goes where. This will allow you to preserve the factory wiring rather than butchering it up.
jdag112

Post by jdag112 »

ranman is exactly right. DO not mess with with the wiring, I've done that many times in the past but you'd be silly cut them. If you can afford that deck, then go buy a wire harness, I worked in an electronics store and they are $15, and when you go buy it ask the guys in the install bay if you can use there ford head unit removal key. They all have them, if they aren't in a good mood, go home and do the coat hanger or find 2 small screwdrivers and do one side at a time (Insert them into the little holes at the four corners of your cassete player) If you go buy a wire harness the whole thing will take about 15 minutes (seriously)<BR>Jake<BR>
jimboxer

Post by jimboxer »

Thanks everyone for your input. I have my cassett player out now. just waiting on my wire harness. i was warned not to cut the factory wires incase i decide to sell my mx-3, but that won't be happneing anytime soon Image<P>Anyways happy riding!<P><BR> Image Jimboxer Image<BR>'95 blaze red rs
Get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on!!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”